Cinema 4D or Blender

What is better to learn to create such Cinema 4D or Blender art?
and also for sculpting like that Zbrush or Blender?
about the fact that Blender is free, I know, I’m more interested in where it is better to create this :slight_smile:

I dont see how us random people can tell you what to use. Blender is free and C4D has a trial available. Youtube has tutorials to get you started.

The triple helix still can be done with c4d mograph, houdini copy node, maya mash, etc. Copy/paste random stills from someone else is easy. Im not a fan of abstract art, but I can tell you, creating your own requires effort and feeling comfortable with the software you choose, and thats something no one can do for you.

ZBrush’s key advantages are its vast array of brushes and ability to handle insane levels of detail at near real-time frame rates. Beyond that, there’s literally nothing magical about ZBrush. If you stink at sculpting then no app will turn you into a better sculptor.

Blender is just as viable of an option as ZBrush. It might not be an industry standard, but it’ll get the job done just as well. I’ve been able to sculpt in Blender with up to 25mil polys and that is MORE than enough. You’re going to end up retopologizing your model anyway

If you’re wondering where Blender and ZBrush meet up on a feature level then consider the following:

1. Dynamic topology? CHECK! Sculptris Pro (ZBrush) -> Dyntopo (Blender)
  2. Semi-automatic retopology? CHECK! ZRemesher -> Quadriflow (Blender). Note that you might want to invest some $$$ and get the paid Quad Remesher plugin. It’s made by the same developer behind ZBrush’s ZRemesher.
  3. Hard surface modeling? CHECK! In fact, Blender is much better suited to the task since it has a far more robust set of modeling tools, which you can supplement with some amazing plugins like HardOps or Fluent.
  4. Base mesh creation? CHECK! Both apps give you multiple options. With ZBrush, you can merge primitives, use a shadow box, create a zsphere armature, and so on. With Blender, you can boolean primtives, poly model, work with metaballs, and use the skin modifier much in the same way as creating a base from zspheres.
  5. Sculpting brushes? CHECK! As noted, ZBrush as way more brushes. However, IRL, most artists rarely use or need all of them. In ZBrush, I’d wager that the most popular tend to be: Standard. Clay Tubes/Buildup. Smooth. Dam_Standard. Move. Mask. Pinch. Inflate. Flatten. Blender has equivalent brushes. Like ZBrush, Blender also enables you to use custom alpha maps. If ZBrush has an advantage when it comes to brushes then it’s in its VDM (vector displacement) for inserting meshes. Blender has vector displacement, but not on a sculpting level (afaik).
  6. Selections? CHECK! ZBrush uses color coded poly groups. With Blender, you can use named vertex groups much to the same effect.

You can keep drawing 1:1 comparisons between Blender and find that, where it counts, Blender holds its own. THAT SAID… ZBrush is a specialty app. It’d designed to one thing only and to do it very, very well. That’s sculpting. If you need to work with an obscene number of polys, are tied to an established studio pipeline, or require some app specific features then ZBrush is the tool for you. Otherwise, Blender will serve you just as well.

As far as ZBrush alternatives go, Blender is actually quite good and there are a number of highly talented artists on ArtStation who use it almost exclusively. In some ways, Blender is a superior alternative since it can allow you to do much more than sculpt. You can animate, video edit, composite, poly model, UV edit, and so on. Blender is an all-purpose suite. Effectively, it’s a very good jack of all trades whereas ZBrush is really a master of just one. Blender does everything pretty/very well while ZBrush does one thing, but it does it supremely well.

I want you to consider one last thing. The process of going from newbie to (relative) mastery is similar to creating a diamond. The only way to turn that raw lump of carbon into a diamond is by exposing it to lots of pressure and time. In practical terms, that means that you have to put in the work, however long it takes. No app… NO app will ever be a substitute for skill and time invested. It’s the poor craftsman who blames their tools.

Blender or ZBrush… In the end, it’s all the same. They’re just tools. Unless your employer says otherwise, the choice is going to be a personal one.

One last thing. Let’s address the elephant in the room… Cinema4D. At its core, C4D is a good app. It’s stable and fast to work with. As a general purpose 3D suite, it’s not perfect, but it’s very good. I’ve been using C4D since 2000 and still maintain an active license. I’ve also been a Blender user since 2011 or so. When it comes to sculpting, imo, you’re much better off with Blender if you want a ZBrush alternative. Cinema4D is just okay for that sort of thing, but that’s about it. The sculpting tools are too basic and too few in number.

Blender VS Cinema4D. Both are good. Blender is better with something (eg, sculpting). Cinema4D is better with others (eg. motion graphics). Blender can do more in general and is, imo, developing at a quicker pace. C4D’s development has, by and large, stagnated a bit over the past decade. It gets new features and upgrades, but few that are so impressive as to make me go “wow” all that often.

EDIT>>> Here are some fun to look at Blender made pieces I found on ArtStation. Just to whet your appetite.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6aGvdr
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oxQ92
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyKVnb
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQlgk9
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RYZEOv
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v1ZxwA

Thanks for the answer, the artist who made Triple Helix used a blender, at least so written from him.
I like cinema 4d and blender. In this case, is it worth studying two programs?

Not really. You should not drive two cars simultaneously. One is enough. But general 3D knowledge usually transfers to other 3D software. So it should be an relative easy jump to another software once you start to become unhappy with your current choice.

So test both to find out to fit it to your needs. Then make your choice, and stick with it as long as the software is not limiting you too much. All is well as long as you can reach your goal.

… and the jack of all trades. Still the weakest solution in most areas. You don’t really want to do compositing in it, or cut videos, or do sculpting in it when you have Zbrush or 3D Coat, or … . Just thought i mention it :slight_smile:

At the same time? Not realy. Over time? Certainly. There are many similarities between all the 3D DCCs, but having experience in more than one is a nice leg up if you are job hunting. Also don’t get bogged down by the plus or minus of this or that application, many of them are subjective and basicaly all depend on the context of use and your own abilities. Just pick one and start, there is no sense in delaying to get a “better” solution. You can get all packages either for free (permanently or as a trial), or as a subscription so your financial risk is minimal. there is no upfront of several thousand bucks needed anymore.
Don’t delay, do stuff! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info