Check out the news on Luxology.net!

http://www.luxology.net

Interesting tease!

What was mentioned in the video? — I can’t see it at work here on my ancient NT station here.

I’m still watching it and haven’t seen any of the Lux tech yet. I was referring to the FAQ on the Lux site that gives a bit of teaser info on their new technology.

Check out the other “… re:Luxology” thread for tidbits on the videos.

Gotta love his timing.
:hmm:

If it is a tool for character animation, how is it superior to
Kaydara?

-R

The only interesting thing Peebler says in the Keynote video is that in the Luxology technology they have moved a lot of the display computations from the GPU to the CPU.

Well, did you get the newsletter about MotionBuilder 5? Up until now the only difference between the Standard and Professional editions was the ommision of the SDK. Now it seems like they will really be deliniating the differences between the two packages by ommiting a lot of stuff from the standard edition, which is also the personal edition. This may give room for Luxology to offer something of comperable quality with more features.

I just saw Brad at the show but I couldn’t get a real good look at what he was running his tests on. However he did refer to what they were testing as there new project, and it definately was not Lightwave that he was running…Granted I am on the outside, but, I think this is pretty bad news for Lightwave development unless the “New Project” is the next Lightwave?

Originally posted by paul k.
I think this is pretty bad news for Lightwave development unless the “New Project” is the next Lightwave?
I mentioned this in the other G5 thread, in the faq, they said that they aren’t competing with the 3d platforms (i.e. Lightwave, Maya, 3ds Max, C4D) , they’re making a program that “plays nice with others” . Most likely it will be competing with the likes of Motion Builder, Messiah, and Animatium. So many CA choices, my head is spinning.

Well, whatever it is, what a marketing coup, eh? I mean, how do you get to present a yet-to-be product from a new, still-has-the-peach-fuzz on it company at a show like that? My hats off to Peebler on that one. :bowdown:

I mentioned this in the other G5 thread, in the faq, they said that they aren’t competing with the 3d platforms (i.e. Lightwave, Maya, 3ds Max, C4D) , they’re making a program that “plays nice with others” . Most likely it will be competing with the likes of Motion Builder, Messiah, and Animatium. So many CA choices, my head is spinning.

I know that we have already heard that NewTek is developing the next generations of Lightwave, and so on… What I meant was that this is bad because there are some really talented people that went over to Luxology and I guess I had held out hope that they were working on something for us. Not to say they are not! But I think Lightwave needs serious work in the character animation, and in simulation. I guess my point is I don’t want to buy buddy programs that are developed by different teams. They never fully work well together especially when they are developing for more than one user base. If LW8 does not really sing, and I have to buy something else, it will be XSI were I can have all the tools I need in one box.

Sight…
Look at all that vapor.
The older I get, the more I appreciate New tek approach to keep
quiet about development.

Hell if the program is an add on for Lightwave, why all the grief?

Hell the Kaydara and Messiah people were cool about their tools
and not divisive and sneaky with the LW community.

:thumbsdow

-R

PS For an example of what I am talking about ,see the comment above mine.

Hey Roberto,

Which Luxology employee killed your whole family? It is just software.

My boss made a VERY interesting point for your consipracy theories!

Why would MAC have Luxology and not someone like Wavefront on their video?
Because, Brad being such a MAC lover has worked a deal with MAC, so Luxology will be creating 3D software exclusively for Macintosh!
:slight_smile:
No more StrataPRO! hahahha
It will be called I-LuxStudio!

And the PC versions wont fully work right nor will pluginz be made for them!

Nah, they’ll release it for the PC just long enough to get a bunch of users. Then they will pull the plug and make it mac only.

lwbob they tortured my cat.
It was an horrible experience.

He he

Better switch to decaf before I post.

-R

I just saw Brad at the show but I couldn’t get a real good look at what he was running his tests on. However he did refer to what they were testing as there new project, and it definately was not Lightwave that he was running…Granted I am on the outside, but, I think this is pretty bad news for Lightwave development unless the “New Project” is the next Lightwave?

How is it bad for Lightwave? LW8 is being worked on and we shall see something at Siggraph apparently. Lux could suddenly vanish like smoke and it will in no way effect LW. :slight_smile:
Roberto,
You hit it on the head. No other companies out their has done more to screw up the LW market more the Lux. I think the comparison between Lux and smoke is a good one. :slight_smile:

I know that we have already heard that NewTek is developing the next generations of Lightwave, and so on… What I meant was that this is bad because there are some really talented people that went over to Luxology and I guess I had held out hope that they were working on something for us. Not to say they are not! But I think Lightwave needs serious work in the character animation, and in simulation. I guess my point is I don’t want to buy buddy programs that are developed by different teams. They never fully work well together especially when they are developing for more than one user base. If LW8 does not really sing, and I have to buy something else, it will be XSI were I can have all the tools I need in one box.

I agree that some talented ppl went over to Lux but they dont have a monopoly on talented programmers by any means.
Think about this. If anyone on the Lux team was any good at writing character tools we would have seem SOMETHING a long time ago. Hell, bone tools have been nonexistant until the Ortho tools from Irrational number. What was the Dev teams fix? Skelegons…
Skelegons sound good but the only easy thing about them is that you can draw them out. After that its like walking around loaded moustraps in the dark. They were and are a kludge because you couldnt manipulate bones in layout very easily. You STILL have to go back to modeler to tweak a joint a half millimeter.
You also say that you dont like buddy programs that are developed by different teams but look at how Motion Designer, Motion Mixer, Particles and Hypervoxels dont feel integrated into Lightwave. They feel like they were slapped on by different “buddy” teams. They werent though, they were done by the exact same group over at Luxology. If they couldnt get it together when they were part of Newtek what makes you think that they suddenly have it together now with less resources and a new nonexistent product on their back and Mount Olympus to climb? My point is that why look to Lux for character tools when theyve never been able to do it before?
Im glad theyre gone and with them the whole “garage” programming mentality. That doesnt cut it anymore and neither does the incredible amount of hype coming out of Lux.
I think Newtek has found that replacing the garage development mentality with an engineering and design based one will carry the day. I for one am very excited about what LW8, 8.5, 9 and so on will bring. This is going to be one interesting siggraph. :slight_smile:

yes!

God I hope youre right larry, that this is the next Paradigm Shift! (said in campy 1992 Newtek Video voice) :slight_smile:
death to garageware!

…i never knew that about MD, HV, PFX…I always thought they were 3rd party plugins that then were made part of LW…but basically still written by the original authors…

Originally posted by SplineGod
You hit it on the head. No other companies out their has done more to screw up the LW market more the Lux. I think the comparison between Lux and smoke is a good one. :slight_smile:

So far Luxology has done more than NewTek has with LW8. We saw more than a promise.

Originally posted by HowardM

…i never knew that about MD, HV, PFX…I always thought they were 3rd party plugins that then were made part of LW…but basically still written by the original authors…

They are. The way they are “integrated” is either by the use of the hidden plugin entry (putting a period in front of the plugin name) or just in the default menus. The only real difference is that HVs are combined with the volumetric light stuff in the volume.dll. Read the SDK, plugin files are just dlls with a “.p” extension. Motion Designer, last time I checked was still a few .p files.

If they were really integrated we would be able to access their properties from outside their GUIs.