Character: ZBrush Z A N E S H A

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this work ZBrush 1.5.

The Z A N E S H A model is primarily made of body parts created with ZSpheres. The head was modelled from a high resolution sphere and the arms from an old ZSphere model that I had saved in ZSphere mode (a useful tip for all Z artists, keep your ZPhere models as well as the finished meshes)

I used only four layers in this image, the body on one, metal/rings/snakes on the next, the back drop shape on the third and a 3D plane on another in the far background. Fog has been applied but only to hide the distance. The document size was 2000x2000 (small for me). I took the test render and changed it to 200 ppi giving me a print size of 10 inches x 10 inches which turned out quite well at output.

The base render was done with only two lights, both suns, with GI Shadows and high ray counts and a low apature size in best render.

The colour version is a COLOR-TEST only and a lot of the post work was done in Photoshop. I am going to go back and spend time on the image to complete it in ZBrush now I have a good idea of colour preference.

Best regards,

Glen

Best regards,

Glen

that’s all awesome! but why all z-brush models i see are positioned in front view, almost seems like there is no perspective.

great work

why all z-brush models i see are positioned in front view, almost seems like there is no perspective.

yeah that why i left z-brush

you can’t change the angle of ur scene:thumbsdow

I agree Vic !!!

I Think these images are absolutely awesome , great work.
However, they are verry much the same style as that other dude who posted some awesome zbrush work, also totally front view.
Nothing wrong with that really, but I would just like to see some wireframe images and other views, this would help us crit and comment your work.
Wireframe images are as important as tha finished work, also different views, like how do we know you modeled hes back ???, or hes ass for example, these are stupid examples , and theres nothing wrong with just modelin the front, but it would give us much more to crit and comment on, as to help you .

Zbrush has great texture and model abilitys, but I looked at the gallery and saw one thing in all the images, a weird perspective.
could be wrong, but I think lots of ppl are askin themselves that question , how bout sortin it out for them and showing some other views and some wires.

anyway, nice work:thumbsup:

ZBrush is a very different tool than the the more common polygon modellers like Lightwsve, 3DS etc. A fundamental part of it is that there is no camera as such. The view in the document window is the SET/FIXED viewing angle for that image. As most images are, like this one, composed of a number of mesh parts (that can be exported and used in other apps) it is possible to set the scene up in any number of postions eg. looking down on this scene, side view, long perspective etc. With having to pick a camera angle (for want of a better term) before starting down the long road to completion I would suggest that the artist spend more time picking the relevant angle to suit the requirements of the job at hand. At maybe myself and other ZB fans can reflect on that in up coming pieces.
Also, once a model/mesh/Ztool is snapshot (made perm.) into the document window it becomes Pixols (Pixologics term for Pixels that retain depth, color and material info). At this stage although you can change materials, textures, lighting, color, depth etc. you can not ever see that mesh as a wireframe without goinh back to the original model that is retained in the tool pallette. This is a very hard concept to grasp when you have come from a polygon modeling background and some people never adapt to it.

However, one point I would say is that what you sacrifice in one way is recouped in another. An image like this takes less than 6 hours to complete. Had I built it in lightwave, which I would love to do, I could try renders from numerous anlges, rig and animate, show obscure views to prove modeling skill etc. however I would need to invest a serious amount of time to the project. Horses for courses as they say. For powerful visuals in short timescales I can recommend ZB.

BTW: I did model his buttox just in case you wondered :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Glen

very…ummm…interesting.

The fourth arm on the left side seems kinda stuck on, it dosn’t meld into the skin.

ZBrush is an interesting tool from what I have seen. How does it fair in it’s export capabilities.

However, it only takes a glance to go “that was done in Zbrush”, so something seems amiss.

Wow! Dude! that’s a great model! i don’t use ZBrush i didn’t try but i looks like this is damn good package… :thumbsup:

loved the black/white pictures… :thumbsup:

do you model it already posed in zbrush?if so do you model the jewlery and wrist bands seperately and move them into place…

it looks really cool, I guess i just dont understand what or how zbrush works…

Originally posted by southern
[B]However, one point I would say is that what you sacrifice in one way is recouped in another. An image like this takes less than 6 hours to complete. Had I built it in lightwave, which I would love to do, I could try renders from numerous anlges, rig and animate, show obscure views to prove modeling skill etc. however I would need to invest a serious amount of time to the project. Horses for courses as they say. For powerful visuals in short timescales I can recommend ZB.

Cheers,

Glen [/B]

K, I understand, but 6 hours isn’t all that fast for an experienced polygon modeler and can be done much faster, no offence tho.

The image is great, but the sacrifice is to big, I’d rather do my modelin in a polygon modeling software and do my textures in PS or whatever and work on it a few hours more than to be stuck with a camera angle and not be able to change my model’s pose, seems to me the app is kinda limited.
:hmm:

If only it was true 3D. That’s Z brush’s problem for me. What you do have is very well done,no doubt about it.
For me Z-Brush would be a good extra character for certain shots type application.
It’s just too limited for more advanced CG work. Good for certain times or situations however.
But what you have here in the end is real interesting to look at.:slight_smile:

sigh

For more info… See my rant in the modelling forum (but don’t reply; it’s almost dead)

Damn, that’s another awesome work from you Glen :applause:
Great work :thumbsup:

Either way the image looks great. So many people rip up an artists choice of paintbrush. It may not be a “True” 3d image but that takes nothing away from this work.

Excellent work southern:thumbsup:

In response to “Untitled” I doubt you would find many polymodelers that could obtain the level of detail shown in this piece in 6 hours. That said, I don’t really care for the zbrush art I’ve seen, for the reasons stated. Always seem to have the same view(head on), and alot of the content seems to be of the same subject matter. Thats not the softwares’ fault, just seems that people using it are inspired by the samples found on this forum, and the z brush site. Great art, just not my taste.:shrug:

Terrific work Glen!

6 hours for the whole artwork seems pretty damn quick to me!
:buttrock: :cool:

sigh Glen, just give them non-believers some time…

PS…show them you’re basketball borg, they’ll go nuts!!!

hehe, from one zbrush user (newbie) to another (the grand master that you are) keep working!!

I will always admire your work, and the way that you can do what I want to do, mechanical design using a non-mechanical modeler…

Looks fantastic…and done in only 6 hours is equally fantastic but the inability to change the camera angle in ZBrush is a letdown.

great work southern!

i’ve tried the zbrush demo but i just can’t get my head around it. i’m a lightwave junky…but maybe one of these days zBrush will just click. :slight_smile:

i see it as a great tool for designers/artists who concentrate on print based work…

i don’t understand what’s up with all the 3D purists/boobs around here…your work is awesome…

if they don’t get what you see as advantageous to you in zBrush then heck…that just means less competition for you and your type of work.

keep up the great work!

Hello Southern,

I prefer the B&W version - he seems more powerful, more regal!

Excellent modeling skills, a lot to look at - the details keep my eyes busy.

Bravo, well done !!

jd

Well done Glen !!! :bounce: