Character - Soldier WIP

Hmm…
Hmmm…
Hmm…

I always have trouble thinking up a good way to start a post.. :shrug:

Anyway, um, I’ve been working on this model for about a week or two now, and I think most of the bulk modeling is done now, and the rest should be details, but unfortunately, my mind has given out on me, and I have utterly no idea what details I should add… The character is currently 3870 faces, and I’m aiming for less then 5000. Weapons, main and auxilary, are in progress, but not really far enough along to post up here. So, if you have any ideas about what I could do to add detail to this soldier model, please say so.

Also, I’ve never really modeled a character before, and I was wondering, do I have enough edgeloops and stuff around the joints for when it comes time to rig and pose him? Or am I going to need to add some more? Thanks! And, umm, one last question… This may be a bit of a newbie-ish question, but, being unable to find answers in the help files or tutorials, I have to ask… How does one color the polys of a model without mapping or texturing it? I see these pics all the time of peoples models which are untextured, but still have lots of different colors… Again, my thanks!

Oh, he he, also, if you know a way to take better pics of a model, do tell, as I am at a loss as to how you guys get such clear pictures :shrug:

Looks like you are off to a good start. If you could post a close up of the face it would be useful, it looks like you might be able to reduce the details around the eyes. It would probably look fine if you got rid of one or two edge loops around each eye.

Looks good! …except that buckle looks like his belt buckle at first glance which makes it look like he’s got his pants pulled up to his waist.

This is from a previous post, but maybe it’ll help to see how many loops you’ll want when it comes time to rig and pose:

Looks like you are off to a good start. If you could post a close up of the face it would be useful, it looks like you might be able to reduce the details around the eyes. It would probably look fine if you got rid of one or two edge loops around each eye.
Yea, maybe… But it would probably make sense for me first to get the general shape fixed :slight_smile: You’ll see why exactly it needs to be fixed when you get to the image… I’m not vey good at faces at all…

Looks good! …except that buckle looks like his belt buckle at first glance which makes it look like he’s got his pants pulled up to his waist.
I’m planning to redo the entire mid-section, for a longer coat/shirt thing, as is currently in use by the military, at least, in most images…

Anyway, here’s the wire of the face… And a question… How does one take a good wireframe picture? Just a screengrab of the model, or what? What I’ve been doing to this point is rendering the model, and then using that render as a background for a wireframe render of the model, but as you can see, it doesn’t come out all too well :shrug: Please ignore the mess around the eyes, that’s due to the way I made the image, I believe.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.