Character: Skater Animation

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I recently graduated from college and I’m currently in the process of finding a job. The demo reel is comming soon. In the mean time I thought you all would like to check out a little animation i’ve been working on. This was my first 3d character i did back in school but i didnt have a chance to render him out until recently. Its still a work in progress. it needs sound, and there are a couple of other scenes that go along with it that still need rendering. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Robert

Click to watch the animation

wahooo, this is an awesome piece of work!

extremly realistic moves and habits of the board and the skater itself!

and the leading of the camera reminds of most of the real videos, everything is great, you get 5 stars from me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[e] whoops, i forgot something: nice choice of tricks, especially the combination of no comply with the wheelies and the inward heelflip at the end \o/

Great animation man!!

Great timing!!

The animation really fits to the personality of the character!!

Keep it up:thumbsup:

This ROCKS!! Great capture of movement. Keep up the good work.

Just curious, did you film someone doing those tricks and then animate accordingly (please don’t take that as an insult to your ability to animate) because they look really good.

Riptyde

as a skater myself, amazing. the environment is sweet.:eek: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Man, this is soooo cool!!!:buttrock: You really got the moves of a real skater… makes me wanna go skate. If you have some time for it put some sounds on the animation. BTW this guy´s a real good skater (360 flip to nose bluntslide).

Give us more:xtreme:

wow…i dont usually comment when i look at things but dude, this rocks!!!

1: Have you got anymore renders, playblasts, stills from this or anything other that you have done that you can show us?

2: Are you a skater

3: What software was used

4: How long have you been using ^ for?

If I had to give it a crit or suggestion, i would say that its for the camera…I love the movements but it could have, tru skater film style, a fish eye roundness effect to it, do you know what i mean.

Im not sure how you would do this in 3d, perhaps with a raytraced reflected sphere infront of the camera or perhaps even do it in post…

Anyways…Great work man…looking forward to more of your work on this fellow :buttrock:

:beer:

p.s 5 stars for you

kick ass:thumbsup: :buttrock: did you have seen a video tape call
“AREA02”??

Wow! That was fast. Thanks for the feedback everyone. This forum is way better than the other one i posted on. I got more replys here in 20 min than i did in 5 days on the other one. :bounce:

Riptyde: I did bite certian movements from videos of pros for some of the tricks but of course exagerated it and made sure that i turned the movement into a trick that (as far as i know)nobody has ever done before. for example, i referenced a 360 kickflip from footage of Christian Svitak but turned it into a backside 270 kickflip to b/s noseblunt side.

RaGzMan: 1: Yes i do have other renders, stills, and playblasts that i can show you. they will be in my demo reel which should be done very soon. I will be sure to post a link to it here after the great response i got from everyone so far.

2: Yes i do skate. (i try to at least)

3: Maya, photoshop, and AfterEffects were the software used.

4: I’ve been usung maya for about 2&1/2 years

Its funny that you make that suggestion about the camera being pointed at a sphere because that was originally my plan, however i had to change it when i realized how long it was going to take to render (about 25 min a frame for all the passes). take a look. Another bounce for the raytraced reflections just would have been to expensive.

Stunning! Character movements are awesome. Board movements are fantastic and the camera work is flawless.

Just all around great work.

If I had a post count high enough to give you 5 starts, I would.:thumbsup:

BgDM

WOW! Indeed. Defintely deserves front page. Rob is a great animator… as you can tell. I worked with Rob on a year long project, he has great vision and an incredible work ethic and fun to work with. Keep up the great work Rob!

-Bradley

www.bradisrad.com

Nothing to crit, love the style, and fluidity of the movements are top notch ??? sure there’s no motion capture in there…

Impressive:applause: :thumbsup: :bounce: :thumbsup: :applause:

Based on my own experience and all the skate videos i have seen you have captured the movement perfectly! well done! i’d love to see more of this now! :smiley:

Importon… that is an awesome animation, big Congrats!!!

By the way, which plugin did you use to render this anim?

Keep it up… :applause: :bounce: :beer: :drool: :airguitar :thumbsup:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: great stuff!

wow!!!, you have a good perception of time, the movement is realy good.
Keep your good job!!! shocking,no doubt that you find soon a good job.:thumbsup:

Wow, great animation, not in the least due to the excellent character and rendering. Everything fits…Love to see more.

EXCELLENT!!:thumbsup: you have a very good eye for motion and camera movement.:wink:

heyman…this is great…let me start off…awesome job…BUT, this is all i have to say. Mike Vallely ring a bell…Label Kills I belive??? That is a one and only Mike V. signature trick. I’ve seen most of these moves in current vids, i mean literally. I think the 360 flip to b/s noseblunt side…thats original. as well as that volcano metal setup. curves curves…awesome stuff man. i have some up and coming myself.