Character - Maintanance Robot

Hello all,

This is a concept for a maintanance robot. like a janitor type of thing that does heavy work in and around public buildings or on transport. c&c are welcome and you can also check out the WIP in the 2d artwork section here: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33108

i like the concept, but i`m missing an axis, where he should have his ellbows. otherwise, i think, his arm movements will look a bit clumsy, when it comes to animation.
did you start with a paper sketch, or is all done in a paint app like ps?

yeah it does look a little funny. as hellrender said it is the equivalant to the leg design. the hand part is the forearm, but it may look a little short coompared to the upper arm. also in the wip part some1 said that its a bit skinny on the upper arm so i will prolly change that aswell when i come to model him.
thanks guys.:beer:

ps, i didnt start this sketch with a pencil drawing but design it on paper. i blocked out the shape in max then worked over the top… bit of a cheat really! check out the wip. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33108

i’m very new at design mech stuff and strive to be original without subscribing to anime style stuff. i find it very hard, especially for joints and stuff that look like they work!

Originally posted by akewt
[B]yeah it does look a little funny. as hellrender said it is the equivalant to the leg design. the hand part is the forearm, but it may look a little short coompared to the upper arm. also in the wip part some1 said that its a bit skinny on the upper arm so i will prolly change that aswell when i come to model him.

I like the arm/leg proportions the way they are!! Don’t change them!!

It adds a lot of personality to the character, in a Popeye sort of way.

This is one of the best robot designs I’ve seen here in a while.
It would be great to see him lumbering around with an overflowing garbage dumpster or can (depending upon his scale).

thanks floyd!! thats a damn good idea about the dumpster man. you’ve just sparked some more inspiration. cheers dude.

it would be cool as a dustman robot that goes with a big dumpster. hed have loads of rotten food, oil and dust all over him. and because in 2450, or wotever, people dont want to clean up bins for a living cos its too un-hygenic.

:beer:

Nice design :thumbsup:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.