ChamferMaker. Hi there))

Thanks a lot for this…very very good of you and its appreciated. cheers. :thumbsup:

Oooooooooooogh…, HEAVEN!
Thanks a lot, this is great.

And Anthosha thank you so much, you solved several problems with your plug-in.
Its very beautifull, Thanks again.

Regards, Robert

Nice Plug . . .

gdrakakis -> you can achieve perfectly smooth seams by using the techniques described at: http://www.3d-meier.de/tut9/Seite2.html

I tried and the result was most satisfying

I suppose that since this is a beta, perhaps I’m looking for too much at the moment.
Some variations below were done by removing the inside geometry creating edges
that could be selected. The red patches are the areas where the points need to be
adjusted a bit more :slight_smile:

Antosha: I was so eager to test this plugin that I failed to thank you. So …
Many thanks for adding this much needed function to C4D.

bazze: yes, I’m aware of that tut and have had it bookmarked for a year or so and have never gotten round to a translation or the math.

Images are as follows:
Open edges
Phong Breaks
Edges with threshold

Hi Anton
I added link to your tool to your C4D community server 3dsoftware.cz - Great work! it works nice!

If you want to make chamfers on edges that boolean create, you can check select intersections in boolean and choose Process: Edges from Live Selection in ChamferMaker.
But dont wait a good result in this case. Such topology does not suit for any chamfers.
And work with such topology will not be fixed in alpha version. I think it is imposible.

Hello,
just wanted to thank you for this great plugin. Perhaps you could further improve it to better handle situations like in the attached image ( happens with the c4d bevel modes ).

The problem with boolean intersection edges is really bad and should be addressed sooner or later. I think that it is possible to fix the mesh by using techniques from polygon reduction. Basically doing edge collapses which do not change the shape of the object too much. This is exactly what i do manually to clean up the meshes. This should be added to the boolean object and is up to Maxon of course…

best regards, Michael

Hi there,

I just wanted to add my vote of thanks for a really great Plug-In. Like many others, I have been wanting this functionality built into C4D for as long as I have been a user (Version Five!).

This will get used every day, so many thanks for your skill and generosity.

Cheers

Linds

Michael, good bugreport, thanx. I`ll fix it.

I think that it is possible to fix the mesh by using techniques from polygon reduction. Basically doing edge collapses which do not change the shape of the object too much. This is exactly what i do manually to clean up the meshes. This should be added to the boolean object and is up to Maxon of course…

I`m adherent of another solution for this problem. I think your method needs a VERY intelectual algorithm.
I suggest to abstract one’s mind from topology at all. After boolean operation, we can subdivide model by Delaunay triangulation algorithm (in region of joint). And then relax points (in region of joint) not changing topology.
And it is possible to make such generator without Maxon.

Hi Anton,
this is a great plugin that you have written.

it would be really nice if your plugin would support some better bevel algorithms than the ones from C4d ( perhaps in addition to).
There are many situations where the C4d bevel starts to break down.
Below is an exemple.
Hexagon, on the right, makes a much better bevel, by creating a better typology

this one is quite easy, when the beveled loops are more complex, then you tend to get more extreme errors in the beveling.

I could keep going…

THANK YOU ALSO you for this intuitive and handy tool!

I’d love to make more use of it but Cinema’s chamfers often look weirdly shaded.
I’ve tried bevelling edges, compared to bevelling polys and tried different subdivisions…
but nothing looked as smoothly shaded as hypernurbs with knifecuts near the edges.

Any suggestions for proper beveling are welcome :slight_smile:
Thanks.

EDIT: Posts above seem to be part of an answer, but still with proper bevels the shading still looks less convincing than HN I think.

There are many situations where the C4d bevel starts to break down

I completly agree with you. I have thought about it. This tool need to be written.

I’d love to make more use of it but Cinema’s chamfers often look weirdly shaded.
I’ve tried bevelling edges, compared to bevelling polys and tried different subdivisions…
but nothing looked as smoothly shaded as hypernurbs with knifecuts near the edges.

For fix weirdly shading try Composite type in this plugin.
AMa_Parallel type do exactly what you say. It make knifecuts near the edges for HyperNURBS.

if you are getting strange Phong shading you may want to turn off Ngon creation, and Untriangulate your model only after the bevel has been created.
Otherwise you may have strange triangles within the bevel ngon, which is probably what you are refering to.

many thanks Mr Antosha, what a nice plug. you should sell it to maxon, they’d be silly not to buy it. hypernurbs are for most modeling jobs much to cumbersome. nurb based patche, fillet and surface blend are unfortunatly not in cinema’s base tool set.

Good stuff but I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to use the plug on an extruded spline profile? People seem to be having trouble with C4D not welding the caps of the object and therefore getting empty spaces at the chamfer. Sounds like a C4D problem though…man C4D can be lame at times just wish maxon would go through the sweep/loft/extrude tools and give them a makeover instead of just working on new stuff its really frustrating when simple things don’t work.

2. How do you do edges with different radius bevels on the same object? I can only get it to work with one set of edges and when i try to pick a new set for a different radius then the old settings are lost. i tried making the object editable and putting that into a new chamfer maker object but the edges went crazy like they hadnt joined properly.

Nice plug though just wish i could unlock its full potential! I love keeping things editable for as long as possible so things like jenna and this are just great, wish there were more.
Cheers

It would be good if this would be supported in future version, for exemple being able assign different radii to different edge selection sets, all in one single Bevel object

Someone please compile this for macusers-if the author cant,can someone help him? thanks