CGTALK MAXSCRIPT CHALLENGE - Topics and Suggestions

Any chance for any more Maxscript challenges?

Maybe like growing plants, a bombing/movie scene (simplified, etc.), weather effects, etc?

how about picking this old gem up again?
i learned a lot from it and i bet others might want to participate as well
not to speak of the benefits for simple users and the added pr
:bounce:

Some possible ideas, especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up,

-Make a procedural snowman (might be easy, but would also be fun :slight_smile: )

-Make some type of procedural weather effect

-some type of camera rig/camera shake setup, etc.

Just some random ideas :smiley:

Hi guys,

I’m swamped this month but i’ll try to put up a challenge next week.

How does it look like, will there be any more Challenges ?
I really like to enter, though it´s really a great learning possibility ! :slight_smile:

Yes a new challenge would be great !

i’m not sure if anyone has suggested this but is it possible to script something for the camera movement so one could move around in a scene like in a 3D FPS game. aim with mouse and move/strafe with keyboard… recording the movement of the camera at the same time…

hi , i’m new here so i dont know if its a right place to send this post .
The created script has ability to build character skin in about 7 minutes, it can slice each part of the character to be replaced by the mesh of its bone part.
please give me your feedback (sorry for bad English)
http://youtu.be/U01DQ-D3-r0

I failed to understand How do you compute the envelope’s soft range and envelopes overlapping ranges?

[QUOTE=gabby_ovadia]I failed to understand How do you compute the envelope’s soft range and envelopes overlapping ranges?[/i use skin wrap and add detached mesh to it
with each part script can find which vert is from which part and set 0 wight to strength vert .
for soft rang, skin wrap will do that and its almost perfect and it can be edited if its necessary]

I have a suggestion…

One day i had to make an stopmotion effect, like a Clay morphing and changing the original form. I 've made it manually using one model for each “frame”, and had to animate it key by key manually.

Then i was thinking about a tool with a simple UI where we could pick a list of objects on the scene and the script will sequence that objects hiding and unhiding them (visibility 0 and 1) with an option to setup the start frame the end frame and a check box with "easy in/out". 

This kind of script could be very usefull and there's nothing like this on scriptspot or other resources...

It could be nice to have this tool as a script, for stopmotion simulation (in 3D) and some other situations.

I read your post, and came up with an Idea that might prove simpler - did you try animating using your key frame method to “stepped” key, ( or even check to just set the frame rate of the scene to 12fps )

Hi Gabby. :wink:

Yeah, i've animated using all the tricks to do it looks like Stopmotion (hold, low fps, etc). :) The results are cool, but the problem is that was not "fun" to manage animate hide/unhide of a sequence of deformed objects. A script could do it much better and more interactivelly. At that time i would like a tool where i could add any objects in a list and "play" it as a single object animated, but "under the hood" it's a sequence of objects.So i can deform and manipulate every frame as a real clay without modifing the poster or previous frame cause each frame will show a single object on a list. 
It's a bit like the RealFlow plugin, that plays a sequence of Meshes...
 But, maybe it's something "too simple" for a script challenge. :)

Then i was thinking about a tool with a simple UI where we could pick a list of objects on the scene and the script will sequence that objects hiding and unhiding them (visibility 0 and 1) with an option to setup the start frame the end frame and a check box with “easy in/out”.
Have you tried Joker Martini’s script, Key Transfer? I think this would be easy to set up with it.

Excellent suggestion Raytracer. I will try this script. Looks very handy ! :slight_smile:

Hi Marcelo,

I did not quite understand why do u need a separate mesh per frame in the first place ? You could lower the fps and modify per frame the poses of a single object, so you will have a “stop motion” effect.
That , unless I missed something on the way.

Hi gabby. Good point, your method will work in many situations for sure.

The intent was to have a way to have a tool to assembly an animation of models that could have a very different topology using frame-by-frame. One of the reasons for that is the UVMap. Using just deformers over the SAME object the Textures will stretch and it will breaks the “realism” of Clay textures. Using many models i can freely adjust the UVMaps for each model/frame to have it done right.

For instance… Imagine a single plane that needs to transform on a clay car, that divide itself onto 2 clay spheres and then the 2 merge together and became a clay cube then they explode like clay drops and merge again…

Doing Clay animations with crazy topology transformations like that could be (it is) a nightmare to try doing everything with just modifiers over a single mesh. The simple solution is to use many models, that changes along the animation from a frame to another. But doing all the Hide-Unhide keys is something that could be solved with a script like the Morph modifier where we could put a list of models in a specific order and the script just create the hide/unhide keys. 
It's a very specific case, i know. ;)

Well, here’s another idea - it is a good and simple possibility to create 2 macro-scripts

“$.visibility = 0” (or "for o in Selection do o.visibility = 0)
And
“$.visibility = 1” (or "for o in Selection do o.visibility = 1)

And assign a short keys for them. it will be super fast, and u can manage it on the viewport with no sluggish performance.
As for creating a list like the morph, well it may take bit more time for it, and it is a very case specific request.

Thnks for the sugestion. :slight_smile: I will try. Maybe i will try to make something, with UI and the list any day. :slight_smile: I am not a former scripter, but i can code a bit. lol

Tks again ! :)

Any chance we can get this restarted? Seems like theres been any number of cool ideas in the past that haven’t been seen through.

-Michael