CGTalk Hosted Gallery Forums

Well, you know people. They get lazy and new things scary them. Once things go in motion, they will adapt and soon or later even forgot about how the old way was.

Nice… I’ll stop giving feedback Leo. Even in a polite and professional manner.

Cheers

<edit> 150k… much improved

Um…it was actually a response to Malachi’s post…not yours…

Leonard~

I understand that I can host my own images, I read the directions on the page. I was fully intending to host my own images within the thread, but it wont allow me to post the thread if I dosen’t include a thumbnail.

I honestly resized the thumbnail over ten times. Lowered the jpeg compression to 0, set to progressive mode at three scans… The lowest possible setting for a jpeg and the file was still 13kb. I set the file mode to grayscale, I tried to make it a gif, but it had to be a jpeg… It was at a res of 72ppi and 80x80 pixels. What else could I have possibly done to reduce the size of the thumbnail? I’m not a moron and I know how to use my software, you can be assured of that.

I’m seriously telling you, it frustrated the hell out of me.

Sorry if I’m somehow just too damn slow to figure out how to use the new uploading system. But it’s not working well for me at the moment… =\

~Malachi

oh =D

Cheers then!

OK man I’ve increased it to 15KB for the thumbnail and 150KB for the image.

I may increase the dimensions if I’m in a good mood tonight…

Leo

Leonard~

Just edited my post above, because I hadn’t read your reply when I posted it. Ok then, I shouldn’t have any problems with the thumbnails now. I’ll try again.

Thanks for compromising, I appreciate it.

~Malachi

EDIT: Thanks Xero. :slight_smile:

I think this is a cool addition to cgtalk. The tumbnails make the Gallery much easier to browse! :applause:

How about an option that automatically downsizes any given image (if its too big) to the size required and generates a tumb?

~cowhen

OK guys,

I’m in the middle of coding some cool additions to it, but I’m shit hungry and haven’t eaten all day. Will be back and update you in a short while…

Leo

OK folks! I got some good news. I have coded it such that you can upload an image that is up to 1280x1280 @ 150KB. The server will automatically resample the image down to fit within 680x680 (while linking to the larger image), and it will sharpen the image to accommodate for the resampling. Works like a charm here…

Leo

reallly great… also find the new image uploading syst very handy, and with the low image limit gone its really fine to use.

good to see that there has been some really good updates on the forum :wink:

How about an option that automatically downsizes any given image (if its too big) to the size required and generates a tumb?

Great idea! I think an auto-thumb feature would be awesome. :thumbsup:

OK folks! I got some good news. I have coded it such that you can upload an image that is up to 1280x1280 @ 150KB. The server will automatically resample the image down to fit within 680x680 (while linking to the larger image), and it will sharpen the image to accommodate for the resampling. Works like a charm here…

Also very cool. This might not be so bad after all… :smiley:

~M~

OK guys the problems that I see with doing the autothumb (yes I think it’s cool…but I wish that it could be automated):
[ul]
[li]1:1 aspect ratio. How do you convert a non square image into a square thumb?[/li][li]Subject matter. If you thumbnail a big image with lot’s of detail into 80x80 at the full extents of the image, your subject matter is lost. [/li][/ul]For example…I have Linda Bergkvist’s Under the Cherry Tree here:

If you autothumbnail it, it will most likely end up like this:

But if you do it manually (yourself) and crop it to your liking, you can do whatever you want to make it look good. e.g.:

I’m trying to make it easy for everyone to upload stuff guys…but there’s a balance between flexibility and automation.

Leo

exelent idea ! ! !leonard
thanks for your work !! ! it’s more funny !

This is very good. It’s really easy to browse trough the forums. :thumbsup:
Are you going to apply this to the other forums too? Like the WIP, but then only the resizeble thing, not the thumbs, since thumbs are kinda unintresting, since it’s not finished. That could make it easier to browse trough.

I’d like to say that its really great how you put into the fourm like this leonard. Very impressed, and my first impressions are that it looks fanstastic, allthough I have not posted anything myself yet. Just need a WIP :slight_smile:

EDIT: I think that making your own thumbnail is a heap better, and it really isnt that hard.

I think 150kb is more than enough. I have hundreds of images on my FTP which have been posted here, and they are ALL under 150kb. The usual Save For Web @ 60% Jpeg always works. And I always generate my own thumbs for my website anyway.

Sounds like the only real hassel is the form which needs filling in. And tbh that’s fine by me!

Great job Leonard.

EDIT: oh and the resolution is fine too. I personally prefer NOT to post my work at the original resolution, to protect myself against fraud. A lower-res image is usually appreciated too, since it fits more comfortably in users’ windows with smaller screen res, and takes less time to load for those 56k peeps out there.

Can’t find anything wrong with this new system… :slight_smile:

Just want to state that I dislike the auto thumb option simply because the entire art is viewed. Making the thumb your self gives you the option of what part to show, alowing you to create a sense of mystery.

~CG TALK~ The leader of CG forums. :slight_smile:

Ok, once more, maybe I am on Leo’s ignore list or something so he doesn’t see my posts. Anyway I got some of the answers thru other comments so I’ll stop whining about it :stuck_out_tongue:

But here is an important tip for all the folks (sorry, I know 96% already know these)

For thumbnail saving:
Save your jpeg with “save for web” option instead of “save as” in Photoshop. If you do the latter, photoshop is trying to save some colorspace information and along with it some extra bits and bytes it needs (but bits and bytes -you- don’t need!), hence you have a large file no matter what. You’ll be surprised how high quality thumbs you can get with jpeg under 10kb’s, and now 15kb’s thanks to the newer specs. This I told you because one of the posters complained about not getting his thumnail under 10kb’s no matter what he did, so I guess this was the cause.

Also, after scaling down for thumbnail, just use the sharpen filter (the simplest sharpen filter in photoshop) and fade it away to your liking (it needs not be too sharp)

Isn’t there an option to do “save for web” and then save it as a GIF? I usually do this, and if you set it up right, you can make the quallity that “bad” that it looks pretty good, but is actually really really bad and it still looks good, YAY! This shrinks the file size down a lot and since it’s only 80x80, it shouldn’t be to hard to get it under 10 kb :hmm: