CgTalk:FXWars! Cartoon Cannon - Challenge:42 - WE ARE LIVE

First I would like to start with personal note from your moderator:
I would like to offer an apology for my absence in these parts for the past 8 Months.
The birth of my first son, and a family emergency has kept me away.
But in the meantime I have had the chance to accumulate assets for our next 4 challenges so we should be OK for the foreseeable future.

FXWARS CANNON FIRE-
CHALLENGE 001 for 2015
Computer Graphics in the past few years have been striving for cold realism.
This mini FX challenge is designed to go in a different path.

THE CHALLENGE:
Render the firing of a cartoon cannon. That is it.
The more flair the better.
You want to shoot flowers? Go ahead?
How about a cannon that shoots monkeys? Why not!
the idea is to have fun with the model provided.

At the end of the challenge a finished entry that looks like the kinds of scene we could see in a Blue Sky movie, Bugs Bunny Cartoon, Simpson’s Episode or a Cartoon Network short so keep in mind that the key for this challenge is to be whimsy and playful

You have ONE MONTH to do the challenge.

THE CHALLENGE:
Simulate the firing of a cartoon canon

DATELINE:

September 3,2015

(After that You have ONE MONTH to do the challenge.)

TYPES OF ENTRY:
You may do one of these types of entries:
◦TRIBUTE
Think of the visual FX sequences from classic cartoon like Looney tunes.
◦FREEFORM ENTRY
The core requirement for this type of entry is to have fun.

◦VFX SHOT
This is your chance to test your compositing skills .You need to use a REAL background plate (clip or sequence).
But keep in mind the key thing that I expect to see in all entries is GOOD VISUAL EFFECTS.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:◦
No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
◦You may use a pre existing model, as long as you give credit to the creator. If you cant model, use simple shapes, since we are interested in the simulation. (But teams are encouraged, and if you are a modeler, you can make your model available)
Voting:
(We will select by an open vote )
You may vote for:

Best WIP THREAD
◦BEST Animation(If Any)
◦BEST COMP WORK (If Any)

And the big one of course

◦BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

GENERAL RULES:
◦The animation and visualizations must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
◦You may use stock previously shot footage for background plates and VFX elements.
◦IF you use footage for a VFX sequence it must be raw NOT contain any Visual Effects.
◦WIP are encouraged if they are posted in ANOTHER thread. Please provide a link to them on this thread.
◦WIP thread should be posted on the FXWARS Forum and should follow
the following naming convention: FXWars! Cartoon Cannon (TRIBUTE, FREEFORM, VFXSHOT), (Note: Group entries are allowed)
◦The entry should have a Title card: FXWARS CARTOON CANNON -DATE
-NAME OF ARTIST(S)
◦It is Recommended that Final movies should be posted in streaming services like VIMEO or Youtube Under the Title FXWARS_CARTOONCANNONE_ NAME OF ARTIST.
◦The animation should follow the following naming convention:
MYNAME_FXWARS(RESOLUTION).mov. And please add your name at the beginning and end of the animation, and if you can, also add a small non disruptive watermark during the animation.
◦If for some reason, you can’t host movies, sequential images (Thumbnails size 160 x 120 ) are accepted.
◦Please add a brief text description about your piece.
◦The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
◦Collaborative pieces are accepted and encouraged, but Teams entries must have a identifying banner and a name. Shot lists should be included with the entry.
◦Individuals participating in a team CAN have their own individual entries.
◦Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
◦You can add multiple entries, as long as they have different WIP threads.
◦Freelancers CAN participate in more than ONE entry
◦All Teams members & Freelancers will get screen credit for in the title cards for participation
◦Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
◦The moderators reserve the right to taken down any thread.

Good Luck
-R

FILE LIBRARY:

Cannon.zip UPDATED LINK 9/03/2015

To open the file follow this process

1. Post a WIP thread
  2. Send me a PM, and I will send you the password for the file.

Great topic Roberto! I hope all is well with your family and congratulations on your newborn :slight_smile:

I’ll do my best to participate in this one, it sounds fun, we’ll see if work (and what remains of my life outside of work) will allow it.

I have updated the file.
here is the latest:
MODEL LINK (UPDATED LINK AUGUST 1st!)

Congrats!
I’d like to join this one as well, hoping that i’ll have time to finish it :slight_smile:

Just wanted to ask, do we have to use the model provided or can we make our own cannon?

You can make your own cannon if you wish…
Have fun!

Cannon.zip UPDATED LINK 8/25/2015
https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBhNWNqb0JPSHc5WThUQw

FXWARS Cannon Fire …NEW dateline!

FILE LIBRARY:

Cannon.zip UPDATED LINK 9/03/2015

To open the file follow this process

1. Post a WIP thread
  2. Send me a PM, and I will send you the password for the file.