CgTalk Daily Sketch 281 "Mordor"

"Mordor "

By
LonelyPixel

and dont forget to provide topics and source images/video for the next: Matte Wars Forum Topic Suggestions

We will try to post one of these topics once a day for your enjoyment.

These are the rules:

• Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
  • RESOLUTION : The image can have any aspect ratio up to 800 x 600
  • They can be done on any medium.
  • If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
  • Only original compositions. No “tributes” or plagiarizing, unless is it an integral part of the challenge.
  • The topics will be posted every day between 10:00 - 12:00 am US EST.
  • The artist also has to post total length of time it took (Thanks Clanger for the idea) and program used.
  • Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
  • The topics will be picked at random from the list on this thread
    (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
    *You can add multiple entries, but please dont post WIP (Unless you intend to update them). NEW RULE!
  • Ill post ANOTHER thread to quantify and track WHO has participated the most on these threads.

Good luck

-Roberto
PS To submit your topic ideas and suggestions go to this thread:
>>Link<<

grmpf I know so little about lotr that i had to google this one up LOL.

Here is my attempt.

Damn i didnt use any photorefences on this one. Landscapes really need lot more work than few hours. Should practise doing them.

Next time im gonna use photographs from New Zealand. Besides this is only sketch group no harm done by posting this :slight_smile:

Let them landscapes start to show up.

And my artwork started out in artrage after that to photoshop

hi!

this mordor one took me forceless after expending 2 hours sketching the previous topic… BUT…
I made an effort
10 minutes, photoshop

and yeah, let the lanscapes show up

Falcor: those colors are amazing, how much time did you spend on it?
I wish I could draw so loosely, it´s fresh air

WOOOO HOOOO! I have never been so excited about a topic in my life!

I have been wanting to do a LOTR sketch for ever! now I have an excuse!

bealobo: Thank you very much! :thumbsup: It took me 2 hours. First 20 minutes in artrage rest in photoshop. Yours is good too. Didnt even occur to me i could have been drawing castles.
Its easy to draw loosely. Just dont think too much :slight_smile: Only them important things.

hey falcor, yours looks really nice. I have one tihng to point out- the light shining on them looks like it should be very warm and yellow from the look of the background. So that cool white light kind of serperates the foreground characters a little too much from the environment, ya know what i mean? probly just a little color tweak in photoshop could fix it. I really enjoy the concept art feel of it tho. good job.

in painter 9 in 20 min

Mordor! now that is a sweet topic

Nice Work Falcor and Ashwin, Here is my obvious take, with all due apologies to Yannick Deusault and Dylan Cole:

Ps 7 + Wacom, 1 hour

The movie disabled my own imagination :wink:
spent 1hr & 15mins on this one (ps + wacom g2)

(my host is down atm, so using imageshack instead)

wowow… some good stuff here …

blah, mine went too messy again…grrh

what a great theme!
This will be my first landscape… I will get started asap.

All the entries have been great so far!
Falcor_, I love how you put the hobbits in there :slight_smile:

OpenCanvas, Wacom, 1,5 hours.

Maybe i did this one to dark… i’m not sure about the configuration of my monitor.

(me like the image of ebr btw. nice mood)

what I remembered from that ROTK:EE creature…that messenger of sauron (just seen it once, no ref used)

1 hour, PSP CS

some really cool efforts today. ebr & JVaughan especially like yours. I’m not in the opportunity to sketch anything today, I’ll join in on this one tomorrow

This was harder than I thought it would be. I started and gave up on 2 other sketches before I settled on this one. I like it.

Photoshop / 1 hour / mouse

Haven’t posted here in some time. Good to be back, awesome stuff thus far. Photoshop, Wacom, couple hours.

Well first of all - hi everybody =] … i am really hoping to improve my sketching skills and overall 2D (especially use of colors, moods and free,loose strokes … still with mouse though :EE … =] so anyway - this looks like the place to me =] and yea - great stuff so far =]
Photoshop, some 2h

*edit: small levels corections to make the image a bit more lighter while in daytime it looked to dark.