CgTalk Daily Sketch 265: THE FUNDAMENTALS 005: Portraiture:Portrait-Picture

CgTalk Daily Sketch 265:THE FUNDAMENTALS005: Portraiture:Portrait-Picture
by

Codenothing
&
Enayla

Welcome to ART Fundamentals week at the Daily Sketch forum.
The idea is to go back and practice core skills for one week.

Portraiture: We will be drawing today portraits, from photos posted on this thread.

[ul]
[li]In order for this to work we need photos (of links to them). So please post photos of either yourself, a family member, or maybe a pet or a celebrity, so the artists have material to work with…[/li][li]People will pick from the photos on the thread and and paint a portrait, referencing the photos that have been posted.[/li][li](The final image can be stylized, or realistic. Just emphasize a likeness of the model.[/li][li]If you wish you can paint a portrait from one of your own pictures, BUT post the source image to see how succesful you have been,[/li][li]The voting thread will be posted next Wednesday, so you guys have until then.[/li][/ul]

Check out these links below for reference purposes:
http://www.geocities.com/bearsclover/portraits/tips.html
http://www.fineartportrait.com/workshop_demo_1.html

The rules…

Welcome to the cgtalk sketch group.

We will try to post one of these topics once a day for your enjoyment.

These are the rules:

• Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
  • 640 x 480 / 480 x 640 OR 800 x 600 /600 x 800
  • They can be done on any medium.
  • If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
  • Only original compositions. No “tributes” or plagiarizing.
  • The topics will be posted every day between 10:00 - 12:00 am US EST.
  • The artist also has to post total length of time it took (Thanks Clanger for the idea) and program used.
  • Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
  • The topics will be picked at random from the list on this thread
    (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
    *You can add multiple entries, but please dont post WIP (Unless you intend to update them). NEW RULE!
  • Ill post ANOTHER thread to quantify and track WHO has participated the most on these threads.

Good luck

-Roberto
PS To submit your topic ideas and suggestions go to this thread:
>>Link<<

wow!
great topic!
Maybe making portraits of people around can be a way to calm down the great yet freaking avatar wars.

I hope someone´s posting images soon or I´ll have to go on Harry Callaghan (Clint Eastwood).

You guys are a friendly bunch so I thought I`d ask these here, ignore if you wish

1.white is white because it reflects all colours, what does it not reflect that crome does?

2.I`m interested to know if the good artists are the ones who can close their eyes and see an image in their heads and if the others are like me and are unable to do this consciously even though my dreams are quite vivid

thanks for any replies

LightFreeze->Simply, white surfaces reflect incoming parallel rays to many directions, because these are rough surfaces. This is called diffuse reflection. Crome is a smooth surface and incoming parallel rays remain pretty much paralel after reflection. And this is called specular reflection.

This will be an interesting topic! This is me with my lil sis…

hopes for a photo of the goddess Enayla :smiley: hides

yeah, white is reflecting wavelentghs not objects.
To the second, I´m not a great artist but I think that great artists don´t stop working. And finally, if you don´t naturally have this talent about imaging everything… you will develop it by painting constantly. It´s like once you´ve painted 1000 hands, you can imagine how´s a hand in any pose. Don´t be stressed about getting good results and draw, and paint, and look, etc.
:slight_smile:

“In order for this to work we need photos (of links to them). So please post photos of either yourself, a family member, or maybe a pet or a celebrity, so the artists have material to work with…”

Ok i chose the celebrity:
For me one of the most beautyful woman
on planet earth.
Link:

http://people.freenet.de/the_unreal_abyss/Ali_Larter.jpg

I think i have not enough talent to draw her.
But some of you guys are very talented.
So go for it :o)

Greetz

-=TheAbyss=-

OK, well, I’m posting a picture of myself. Just found this picture on my hard drive. I think I’d been up working for 3 days straight when this was taken. Hence the bloodshot eyes. I’d love to see what some of you might do with it.

I hope everyone posts pictures of themselves, This should be fun.
jånnis looks like you’re going to be my first victim. :slight_smile:

I dont draw guys very well, but jånnis, i hope i did your cute face justice :smiley:
photoshop, approx 1 hour

edit: updated some minor stuff in the pic, 3 mins extra

It’s a little out of date.

and even more out of date: (my grandpa)

and another one that’s out of date, maybe a little more than the first.

Now y’all got some options.

that’s constanze, my girlfirend. I’m unable to draw her 'cause I’m never happy with the paintings… maybe one of you can do a better job…

…jotta get my tablet back! we needs it!!

two pictures of me… both of which I had to take myself… kinda hard…even WITH a
tri-pod!

DesireeJReynolds> u have really really beautiful eyes.

Alright! Some great pictures.
Alex - I love that third picture especially. That’s a classic.

:slight_smile: This is one of my fav actresses . Zhang Ziyi in “Hero”

http://zhangziyi.free.fr/Photos/Hero/moon2.jpg

ok!

I wanted to post a really superb picture, but I have no time right now so I thought that this one might be challenging to someone, like painting an underwater portrait
I was holding the camera while swimming, so that´s why the neck looks like that :smiley:
by the way, it´s the sea

I´ll draw you tomorrow I´m afraid

Deaderthanred: well done! I love the loose style and big strokes. Also it looks like jannis.

coooool, we get to do portraits! :slight_smile:
This is me before my beard. Mabie ill post me and my beard later. but ill leave the hat and eye patch at home. :scream:

deaderthanred: Nice one (although i look a bit older on yours but thats ok). Thx! :slight_smile:

I bet everyone like to see a Bergkvist picture. This evening i will pick someone and start sketching (deaderthanred do you have no pic of yourself?)

Thank you :slight_smile: Blush…

I really love that swim picture bobolo!! You look so happy under the water! not like you are trying to hold your breath.