cgSkin edge problem

Hello,

cgSkin doesn’t appear to allow edge crease information for poly objects to pass through it and on up the stack. As you can’t set the edge crease in the Edit Poly modifier, the only workaround is to set the crease values in a Meshsmooth modifier (and that means you can’t use Turbosmooth).

If you only want the benefit of TurboSmooth’s speed enhancement, you can drop an Edit Mesh or Turn to Mesh modifier onto your stack.

Chicken Little: Yeah, there are workarounds, but I’m not interested in workarounds. I would like cgSkin to play nice with within the environment for which it is designed. The ‘workaround’ I’m using (and I think this is how they intended cgSkin to be used) is to place your subdivision modifiers before cgSkin. Still, I would prefer to not have cgSkin remove information I’ve put into a mesh. What if I have custom code that looking for those edges at the top of the stack? In that case, I can’t use cgSkin.

Actually the way we use cgSkin is as an object - not as a modifier. This is for performance.

For high end film work my TD’s also had a stack of CGskin control objects – freaky, but it’s stable and it works.

The short answer is that we should be preserving/passing edge information – and will do in the next release.

mark

I haven't tried out object mode. Next week once the current project is passed I'll have more time to explore a bit.
The short answer is that we should be preserving/passing edge information -- and will do in the next release.
Sweet. Glad to hear it.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.