CGS_DSF 2960 35 mn "The Red Queen"

“The Red Queen”

You have 35mn for your your sketch. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , you have to post

• WHATEVER you have done after the time has expired, along with the FINAL drawing.
  • You may post a drawing at ANY TIME, but if you wish to be eligible for the Sketch of the Week,
    it must be finished at least a week after the topic has been posted.
  • You may also re-post a copy of your finished drawing a this forum:
    Member SKETCH Collection
  • Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
  • Only final pieces can be posted on the thread.
  • They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
  • RESOLUTION : The image can have any aspect ratio up to 1024 x 1024.
    NOTE: The forum WILL RESIZE your image. but you may post a direct link to a high resolution version of your drawing

Today I felt that I cant paint anything right… I used one photo to save my disaster painting :smiley: :smiley: I should start studying the basic stuff to improve my skills…

40 minutes.

I really struggled with this painting as well. Her eyes! Her eyes are terrible! :shrug:

Sazem, your painting ain’t too bad! Keep going at the daily sketch routine but also practise drawing fundamentals like anatomy, lighting etc. I love that you keep at it and you are certainly are improving. I be away working for a few days so will be unable to get on the internet but as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow I know that you’ll be entering the daily sketch. I love that.

Thank you Miked08 for your really nice feedback! I am currently really motivated, maybe because I found the flow finally. :slight_smile:

The fundamentals are really important and I really should try to learn more. Maybe tomorrow I will go to library and search some old fashion books about it!

I have problem drawing eyes too… in your sketch aint even bad! If I make portrait or something the character usually looks little retarded, eyes in my paintings are always different pair hehe.
That`s why I was planning next month make 100 characters to improve my self in this area. Lets see how I manage to do that :slight_smile:

Nice work everyone :). Sazem, the Loomis books are really good for learning anatomy. I got the whole collection and they have been very valuable to me.

Hello CG Society, I’d like to present you a freshman’s entry :). Exactly 35 minutes, although I’m using definetely too much textures.

Welcome to the Daily Sketch forum, dawidowicz!

And wow, I’m not sure what happened, but it feels like the daily sketch forum has really come to life compared to a couple of weeks ago. It’s great seeing everyone else’s sketches!

Here’s my red queen from Alice in Wonderland, although it didn’t really turn out the way I wanted and nor did I manage to stick to the time limit. Some days things just flow better than others.

~1 hour / GIMP Studio

Danielh68, I did read the Fun with pencil and I feel that it raised me another level. I dont know what to read next, some of those were bit “hard” to read for me… :slight_smile:

dawidowicz, welcome and I think your sketch is great, not too much texture in my opinion :smiley:

Surrealix, great sketch! Also I feel that Daily sketch is reviving bit by bit! I notice you are using Gimp?
I was wondering about if I could manage using Gimp… because my laptop is awful right now. Crashing every 2h and such. I was thinking to change to linux, as an It-student it would be perfect anyway. Only reason I havent so far, is that it doesnt have photoshop. Now when I learned to use the customs brushes, I feel that it would be hard to go without :stuck_out_tongue:

40 mins / Artrage 2

I haven’t been doing any art lately. Just hooked up my Wacom to my work computer so hopefully can sneak in some daily sketches from now on. Enjoy!

-Carl S.

I used Linux for a few years, but found that I spent longer fixing problems than actually getting work done, so I switched back to Windows (Also, I’ve not yet found an IDE that’s as good as Visual Studio). I hear that since the advent of Ubuntu & user-friendly distros it’s gotten a lot better though.

Most of my daily sketches from a few years ago were done in vanilla GIMP, which was okay but you spent a lot of time getting the brushes set up the way you wanted. Recently I stumbled upon GIMP Paint Studio (google code project here) which is basically a pre-set window layout with a bunch of custom brushes. I’ve slowly tweaked things here and there to get it the way I want, but it’s very useable out of the box compared to the normal version of GIMP. I’d recommend giving it a shot, anyway. I’ve tried a few other open source painters - Krita, and MyPaint were pretty good - but always end up coming back to the GIMP because it’s got the best functionality.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.