CG is here to stay

As a change from my regular lunch routine, today I decided to venture into the nearby A&B sound. (Canada’s version of Sam Goody) As I strolled lazily around, and I noticed something… on all of the televisions, I saw 3 different movies being played, all of which are primarily known for thier CG achievements: Shrek, ToyStory 2, and Lord of the Rings. Until today, I have always looked at CG as an art form struggling to define itself. I see this in the way many ‘traditional’ artists in ‘traditional’ art forms speak about CG. Today was a eye opener for me. CG is not a defined art form, its a diverse one.

For those few ‘traditional’ artists that fear CG is replacing thier jobs I say this: “I dont want your job. I want the seat next to you!”

The final kicker… As I was leaving the store to go back to work, I heard someones cellphone ring. A man in his late 40’s answers it. The ringtone? Final Fantasy.

Mike R

P.S. We are everywhere!

Not news, but good to see it in writing -positivity is a “glass half full” kind of thing!

P.S.-Van BC… where do you work? Lived there my whole life until 1.5 yrs ago.

Originally posted by Rhonedog
[B]As a change from my regular lunch routine, today I decided to venture into the nearby A&B sound. (Canada’s version of Sam Goody) As I strolled lazily around, and I noticed something… on all of the televisions, I saw 3 different movies being played, all of which are primarily known for thier CG achievements: Shrek, ToyStory 2, and Lord of the Rings. Until today, I have always looked at CG as an art form struggling to define itself. I see this in the way many ‘traditional’ artists in ‘traditional’ art forms speak about CG. Today was a eye opener for me. CG is not a defined art form, its a diverse one.

For those few ‘traditional’ artists that fear CG is replacing thier jobs I say this: “I dont want your job. I want the seat next to you!”

The final kicker… As I was leaving the store to go back to work, I heard someones cellphone ring. A man in his late 40’s answers it. The ringtone? Final Fantasy.

Mike R

P.S. We are everywhere! [/B]

ah…i dont see those examples as really an artform persay
even tho LOTR comes the closest these are more basic examples of CG used for commerical art which really isnt art the way ive ever looked at “art” that is…

when someone slaves over a animation for five years by him/her self and it really shows those quailitys of real art for arts sake then yes CG is /has came into its own as a “artform”
til then its all just mustard for the big corporations hotdogs that they feed to the masses…

It’s also good to see that many directors are seing CG no longer as film-fashion and are actually using it where it’s required, rather than saturating us with unecessary eyecandy that could have been done in 10 minutes with a prop or a real background.

Go us! :smiley:

The only thing I don’t like about CG is that it has made stop-motion obsolete…no more giant crabs for me!:cry:

Originally posted by erilaz
[B]It’s also good to see that many directors are seing CG no longer as film-fashion and are actually using it where it’s required, rather than saturating us with unecessary eyecandy that could have been done in 10 minutes with a prop or a real background.

Go us! :smiley: [/B]

I agree Erilaz. Im glad that directors and the other powers that be are starting to learn the strengths and limitations of CG. If you want a bear swimming across a lake… go rent a bear suit :wink:

Jason: I’m at a place called Bardel near Gastown. I believe that some of my co-workers used to be your underlings :wink:

Mike R

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.