Caterpillar P-5000 Pwl, David Mcgovern (3D)

Title: Caterpillar P-5000 Pwl
Name: David Mcgovern
Software: 3ds max

This is a model I created off the Caterpillar P-5000 Powered Work Loader, which is seen in the movie “Aliens”.
I had to base it off pretty dark and obscure screen captures from the DVD so I’m not sure if its 100% accurate but I think its close enough.
The reason I decided to model it is because it has to be one of the most memorable pieces of machinery seen in any film and even though its more or less a fancy forklift it still kicks ass!

I mainly used extruded splines, lofts and some edited primitives to create this model.

not bad…a bit simple and symmetrical but not bad…you might wanna play with the textures so you can make it more realistic…it looks more like plastic than metal right now…more like a Caterpillar P-5000 Powered Work Loader toy…very nice start…keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Thanks!
Will have another look at the texures and see if I can make them more metallic, although I’m pretty happy the way they look now.

It’s more about things like scratches revealing metal uderneath, dirt, oil stains, rust, dust etc. Just take a look at any real world piece of construction equipment. Besides, good light and camera setup will add a lot - camera placed lower will give impression of bigger size, and so on.

It’s simple, but i love it! keep it up :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys! :slight_smile:

wow i really like that…i would love to see it in a pose or animation and the symplicity makes it good…nice work

Alter it a little and you could make a pretty sweet APU from the Matrix Revolutions!

w00t!

-Doc Holliday

I like it! Good work!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.