Casshern Anyone?

http://www.casshern.com

Go to the trailer section and download to your heart desire…

I though the trailer was awesome :thumbsup:. Movie looks very interesting indeed. Only wish I knew what it was about…:smiley: as the movie info on their website is not in english.

It’s adapted from a 70s anime called “Casshan: Robot Hunter”.

http://www.japanhero.com/animation%20hero%20reviews/casshan.htm

You’ll have to excuse y ignorance but is Casshern a Japanese invension? Where was this film being made?

Great looking trailer, visually interesting adaptation.

Yes, it is Japanese production and is directed by the photographer, director and husband of Utada Hikaru(DefJam artisit who did Kingdom Hearts opening theme and ending theme).
Which he also did Utada Hikaru’s Traveling and Sakura Drops music videos.
I did one cut of the Sakura Drops music video’s CG scene, its only like 3.5 seconds long though lol.
at least my name got to be in the credits :smiley:

Really amazing and beautiful!!
I love it!
But the story is maybe a little bit flat.

This movie looks lame. I didnt undertsnad whats going on.

I don’t quite understand it either, probably because I don’t know Japanese. The story is probably similar to the anime movie I remember watching on the SciFi channel years back.

Copied from the provided link by JulianHo:

“Enslaved by an army of rebellious super-robots originally designed to help civilization avert a complete ecological cataclysm, mankind’s only hope is CASSHAN, a legendary hero who wages a solitary war to defeat these NEOROIDS and restore the Earth to its rightful order.”

Thought I would provide a VERY rough translation for all the curious folk out there. I am still pretty intermediate at Japanese, and these guys talk really fast, using a few complex grammatical forms… so this may be off quite a bit in some points, but here goes. If anyone can correct this, I’d be grateful.

Koko ni hitotsu wo sekai no happyousaseta itadakitai
Today, I am pleased to announce to the whole world…
Sono na wa shinzou saibou
…this is the New Cell
Kore ga koko made tsukutta na
They’ve made it this far already…?
Bokusama gobyouki da to okichishimashita
I
was infected.
Rumour wa dou suru da
What is the rumor?
Tomodachi ga tatakatteiru no ni
Although my friend was fighting too
Jibun dake kono tokoro ni iwaku ikanain ni (???)
Only I survived
Keiu yume desu!
(I think this is just medical talk – “It’s over 10 million” or something…
Shinzou saibou wa mada kanseisei no ka
The New Cell is not yet regulated by the government

Dou iu koto da

What’s going on?

Gunbu ga koiteiru koto to iu desu
The army (is doing something or other…)
Kaze hito wo tatakau no ka na
I wonder if (someone, pronoun unspecific) will/is fighting the wind person

Mukagau wa nani wo shita no desuka
What did you do?!
Shiou wo samura anata wa shinzou ningen to shioshi
Its use on you turned you into a New Human

Ningen wo minagoroshi ni suru
I will kill all human beings.
(heavy rock)
Koto ni waruku
This is bad

Hayaku shiyou!
Hurry up!
Watashi mo mae ni tsukutta no hiro ???
I made one more before that

???
Ore wa mo ningen jya nai da yo!
I am not a human!
Tatta hitotsu no inochi wo sutete
A thrown away life
Umarekawatta fujimi no karada
Reincarnated with an invincible body
Tetsu no akuma wo tadaite kuraku
Fighting an iron devil
Casshern yareneba dare ga yaru?
If Casshern does not do it
who will?

So yeah… pretty rough, pretty flawed… but hey, I spent like 5 minutes on it… :blush:

Originally posted by Sheep Factory
This movie looks lame. I didnt undertsnad whats going on.

you are not the only one…

yawn

go go Power Rangers.

Maybe you should not stop you in the fact that all this speaks about great Japanese hero!
It is a magnificent universe and shots are magnificent.
The story is certainly manichean but it does not prevent from having a film much superior to the average of what we see almost everywhere.
For me it is a crossing between X-OR, the illustrations of Mc Mullins and Metropolis.

Originally posted by bentllama
[B]you are not the only one…

yawn

go go Power Rangers. [/B]

Don’t you love it when mods give us quality examples of professional posts? :wink:

I think some of the shots in this look great, as far as storyline goes, I won’t knock it til i see it…

Awesome work on the translation Bone! I know maybe 10 words in the language. They talk so fast and nonstop, I really have no way of telling where one word begins and the other ends. The translation really does add something though.

It’ll probably be a while before it’s shipped over to the states, but I look forward to seeing it. I don’t see the comparison to power rangers though.

yeah, I saw this trailer a few days ago… man, the art direction looks amazing. as far as visuals go, I think The Matrix is about to be dethroned as the king of live-action anime.

Originally posted by mattregnier
[B]Don’t you love it when mods give us quality examples of professional posts? :wink:

I think some of the shots in this look great, as far as storyline goes, I won’t knock it til i see it… [/B]

Sorry I was in a rush and couldnt explain myself.

The movie looks lame , It reminds me of that other movie by the ghost of the shell director , avalon it was called i think. The trailer was very impressive than I saw the movie and we fast forwarded most of it. I’ll see this one just to see the vfx but I doubt it’ll be in my favorite movies list.

I just dont find japanese animation\stories attractive so its personal preference , you can disagree.

Originally posted by mattregnier
[B]Don’t you love it when mods give us quality examples of professional posts? :wink:

I think some of the shots in this look great, as far as storyline goes, I won’t knock it til i see it… [/B]

just because I am a moderator does not mean my posts have to be free of opinion…however, when I moderate posts, my opinion has to be free…there is a big difference…

this movie at first glance appears unappealing to me…it does not cater to my tastes, plain and simple. it wreaks of Power Ranger quality to me…and the wooden acting that goes with it…

I am very picky when it comes to anime and manga storytelling…and I have even more discerning tastes towards their live action counterparts…

Based on what I know of this, I have to agree with bentllama, it looks dumb. In fact, they’d have to do quite a bit different in the rest of the movie to get it good. I mean, the plot is way formulaic – one guy is exposed to Widget X, goes crazy, conquers the world… so Benevolent Old Guy A turns his Unsuspecting Son B into Super Hero Z using Widget X.
That said, I’m interested in seeing it for the visual sense on display here. Japanese cinema can be incredibly inventive at times, even though it seems to be stuck in a rut of recycling. I haven’t really been impressed with anything since Evangelion and Lain.

I don’t think plotless VFX films are necessarily evil, they’re merely a different form of cinema. Remember, in the beginning of cinema, nobody was making narrative films. They were just throwing stuff up on the screen to make pretty pictures. Many film movements have had filmmakers who eschewed any form of story in favor of using editing to create an abstract moving aesthetic. So, on that level at least, I don’t think this movie’s a waste.

On a narrative level, though… yeah. Not really expecting much.

yeah, it’s really true, a lot of the stories Japanese filmmakers tend to shoot are very forumulaic. I realized this after watching my 2nd anime movie. All the stories are the same. So, whenever I’m watching Japanese cinema, I now know to switch off every part of my brain except the part processing the images. Ever since, I have walked away from these movies heartily satisfied.

Most forms of entertainment suffer from this . Be it tv shows , movies, anime or even comics books and video games. In the end it all comes down to what is exceptable to the person watching it. Being a robot hunter fan im hoping for the best. I do not see this movie as a power rangers clone for many reasons but mainly because it is where the idea of power rangers and many other shows and anime charactors came from . Robot hunter was one of the series that started a trend and has been changed in many ways and copied over and over again. It may suck it may not . I will wait till i can actually watch it to decide on it .

Originally posted by Howlin
Robot hunter was one of the series that started a trend and has been changed in many ways and copied over and over again.

Actually, I would argue that Ultraman and Gatchaman had much more influence on the sentai genre than Casshan, though it was early enough to be one of the pioneers. Though you are right in that it likely was one of the first “Kindly Doctor makes Robot Son that Fights All The Time” animes – but Osama Tezuka’s Atom Boy predates the hell out of Casshan.
Check out this page for a bit of background on sentai shows (like Power Rangers).

Personally, I think the Night Flight parody of Dynaman is the best application the idea’s ever had, but I seem to have been the only kid that ever watched it. Imagine my surprise when years later, I grow up and realize that Dynaman was a redubbed parody of Japanese culture, not the real deal, as innocent little me thought it was.