cant render caustics any more :S

ok i get this error when i try to render caustics

RCGI 0.2 error 361053: no photons stored after emitting 1000000 photons (canceling emission job)

RCGI 0.2 warn 362004: no photons stored after emitting 10000 photons

RCGI 0.2 error 361053: no photons stored after emitting 1000000 photons (canceling emission job)

and it actually keeps on giving tere errors time after time :S please help !

Been a while since I’ve been online, but… I’m pretty sure the same rules still apply.

Have you tried entering this:

no photons stored after emitting

~into the search engine and read those results ?

Maybe someone will pop in with a McDonalds fast food answer for ya, but in the meantime I’d try using the search engine.

Good luck

Yes, this problem comes up very very frequently. In short, there’s a few things you can do to prevent this:

1. Watch your scene scale. This has to do with falloff, decay, and the way that coordinates are translated over to MR in general.
  2. Only use spot lights generating caustics, and be careful where you aim them. You get this error usually when caustic photons are shooting off into nowhere.
  3. To help with #2, try putting an inverted sphere around your scene to catch the photons.
  4. All of your caustic-generating objects need to have some sort of photon shader. Some of them will have this automatically - the prebuilt MR Glass material, for one. And some of the standard max materials develop them by default when you do certain thing (such as raise the glossiness and specular levels above zero), but that isn’t as reliable as putting the photon shaders in there yourself.
  5. Make sure you have objects in your scene that have been setup to receive the caustics. When caustics are generated by bouncing off of your caustic-generating object, it can give you problems when those new caustic photons have nowhere to go.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.