Cane Toad - What Happened to Baz?

Hi all,

We’re starting to ramp up CGFilms here. Our first short film that we’re showcasing is “Cane Toad - What Happened to Baz?” by Andrew Silke and David Clayton. The film is downloadable for CGTalk members.

>> Watch Cane Toad here <<
>> Read the Making of Cane Toad here <<

Leo

A very entertaining short! I saw it a siggraph earlier this year and it was great to see it again.

Nice work. It was great to see this at Siggraph this year.

Is it a CGNetwork exclusive? I noticed it’s not even available on your site!

Awesome. I believe it is CGNetworks exclusive, cuz it’s not available anywhere else yet. Bravo on providing this for CGNetworks/CGTalk members! This site rocks!

Geoff

yesss a download, finaly, a very slow download though and I kinda need sleep, but for this it can wait :smiley:

great interview also, amazing driving force those guys have

Originally posted by Hexodam
[B]yesss a download, finaly, a very slow download though and I kinda need sleep, but for this it can wait :smiley:

great interview also, amazing driving force those guys have [/B]

LOL, all the CGTalkers going to choke the bandwidth :slight_smile: I was one of the first ones in, so the 12MB came down in a jiffy!

Geoff.

Considering how sloooowly it’s loading, I imagine the servers are getting pounded right now! :smiley:

whatthe hell, its only 12mb? it feels more like 120mb :cry:

50% done

wow that kicked ass nice work

I’m downloading it with Download acelerator as soon as I download it I;ll post my coments:thumbsup:

finaly finished downloading

few things that stood out

Facial animation, that one is simply amazing, one of the best ones I have ever seen
Textures, amazing quality, realy adds to the feel, absolutely the right choice

one bad thing

The story, it realy starts well, the first scene is definetly my favorite because of the time spend on the end, the other two end too quickly. The end of the story is a big let down for me mostly because I didnt get the joke.

I give it4/5 :smiley:

Egad, so gory! Those guts! Yikes! Can’t imagine spending a couple weeks modeling and texturing that :smiley:

Pretty cool overall though. Lots of nice and varied effects. As contrary to Hexodam, I found the facial animation a little bit lacking. Very expressive but the sync seems a little odd, esp the teeth don’t seem to move quite enough. Maybe that’s how Australians speak though, I dunno, I’ve heard the British barely move their jaw when they speak. Also, could be a compression/quicktime thing, I’ve run into lots of problems with movies and their sync being out of whack, but it seems like more of a slight animation problem.

Oh well, obviously it’s very well recieved and suceeds overall. Congrats.

Awsome work guys!! great to see it finally online!

To those Americans who don’t get the joke : The Cane Toad in northern Australia is a MAJOR problem. So much so that the locals have all sorts of ways of disposing of the threat. Thus the different way Baz gets crunched :slight_smile:

will be interesting to see how this is received oversea’s.
Either way its a fantastic short!

I am really impressed at how they are marketing this short. I have seen this title in zillions of festivles, awards, websites etc.

Well done guys.

seeing this at siggraph was definately a treat. loooove the gore, though sometimes i had no idea how you did it.
what i love most about this animation is the voice subtlety. the voice actor is soooo realistic and the animation matches it to a T.
one thing that bothers me, i still dont understand the ending. why is he dressed in a tutu in a gift shop? is he just trying to leave the country?

Originally posted by Leonard
The film is downloadable for CGTalk members.

dowloadable? How?

I get a quicktime ‘watch but definately do not download’ window. I really need to get some sleep and it would be great if my computer would tell me in the morning that the clip was downloaded while I was dreaming of toads and stuff, but alas… I do not see how…

In Arizona we had similar toads. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen pancaked toads with 3.5 feet of trailed out in front of them. Nice to see that it’s finally ready for download. I had been following it and we VERY pleased when it popped up @ the Animation Theater

Way to use/abuse 3D. :thumbsup:

Now to download it to fill in the memory gaps.

• Jeremy

You can “save-as” once the film has finished downloading. :buttrock:

Really cool stuff!

Geoff

Originally posted by drewantarctic

one thing that bothers me, i still dont understand the ending. why is he dressed in a tutu in a gift shop? is he just trying to leave the country?

nah, for some reason, some tourists who visit QueensLand like to take home a stuffed and laquered frog weraing a tutu as a gift.
go figure. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, here in Australia cane toads are a bit of a phenomenon, but i know that a lot of other people around the world don’t know much about them so we put a small section on our site with some real life cane-toad info for anyone who’s curious - they really are interesting little critters. You can have a quick read:

http://www.cane-toad.com/about_cane01.htm :stuck_out_tongue:

The movie might make some more sense.
And thanks for the good honest feedback! It’s always appreciated. Also a big thanks to Leonard and the cgnetworks team for hosting the movie for us and handling the bandwidth slug. It’s really is fantastic to have the resources of this site and cgnetworks available for free.

cheers
Andrew