Calibration/Brightness Poll

Im having real problems calibrating. When my brightness is full blast and im using adobe gama and full contrast i still cant see some of the dark ones. Anyway good idea with the poll and all.
I had the same problem. But after tweaking some settings in the Nvidia Display Settings, I managed to get some good results and now can see all of the letters (A- just slightly).

And it really makes a difference in images like these. Before calibrating I could hardly se the lower right part of the image.

i can see the lower rigt part of that image fine but read the a out of the question weird. MAybe my monitor just cant handel fine tone changes. maybe its time for a monitor upgrade. i dunno.

Hah. At work on my professionally calibrated montior I can’t see A-F at all. At home I can make out all the letters.

I think color depth has also something to do with it.
With 32 bit i can see all letters clearly (Uncalibrated LCD Samsung SyncMaster213T)
but with 16 bit its almost impossible to see Z.

Similiar here also lcd the extreme ends are a little faint on white unless i move it toward top of display, voted 2 missing.

I was missing the first couple of dark columns, but I’ve just recalibrated my monitor now and I can see them all.

Thanks!

I think its the more the better. So that you are exposed to a wider range of tones when working with colours.

im an idiot

I spent like 40 seconds trying to find the “C” letter between the A and B letters.

I can easily see all on my Hitachi CM721F 19" CRT.

Also check out the following page about gamma calibration:
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

I’ll vote when it gets a bit darker, the sun is still shining like mad now. :slight_smile:

-R

A,I,U,E,O,KA,KI,KU,KE,KO,SA,SHI,SU,SE,SO,TA,CHI,TSU,TE,TO…

I cant read the first line.

The other thing to be aware of is the lighting conditions in the room you have your monitor in. It’s an overcast morning here in London today and with the reduced light coming into the office I can indeed read all the letters whereas before under stronger lighting (it was a sunny afternoon) I couldn’t make out 2 of the letters, so we should all bear that in mind.

I am about to be shut in my small pod away from the light to begin doing some lighting soon so this problem will sort itself out for me though my pallor will not improve. :wink:

A

i calibrated and it got worse should i switch back.

I can see them all yay

I do worry often that my lcd’s are too bright, when people start telling me that they cant see the tred on the tires because they are too dark, and I can see them fine :slight_smile:

this is a little pointless beyond seeing what people see in their native browser because certain browsers are colour managed and therefore assume either sRGB or a monitor profile or some just completely ignore it.

To see what you see and know whether systems are calibrated you need to attach a profile to it and ensure that people know how to use that profile…browsers are not the thing to look at images for calibration purposes full stop.

But yes, your right in your assumption that the majority of people know sweet fa about calibration and colour spaces.

Just out of interest what colour space did you create it in?

I have two monitors, a CRT an a cheap TFT.

On my TFT I can’t see four of them, but I can’t really calibrate it correctly with these drivers. At first I had the same result with my CRT, but then I remembered I updated my drivers a while back and that reverted the gamma settings. I calibrated it for gamma 1.8 and I can see them all now on my CRT.

I use the TFT for most viewing because it’s easier on the eyes. I use the CRT as a second monitor and when I need to have ‘correctly’ displayed colours.

• R

I recommend anyone having calibration problems to get PowerStrip. It’s a shareware program (free with a timed reminder at startup, or purchase) that lets you calibrate multiple monitors independently, and set PC monitors to use Mac gamma as well, which I personally prefer. It’s a great tool.

Thank you Jeremy. This is really, really, really, really helpful thread. I’ve got the problem of calibrating my monitor. That’s way the images on my site may look a bit out of contrast. Thank you again.:applause:

edit. I forgot to mention. I can not see A and B and had to concentrate to see c. Maybe I’ll have to review all the images on my site.:sad:

I can’t see any of the letters here and I only setup adobe gamma yesterday…

I am having problems with my home machine which is a TFT screen and the ones at work being CRT Trinitron as my photo’s at home looked fine and then I got into work and they were too dark AARGHHHH… So what this thread is trying to say is that the letters should be barely visible for true brightness/contrast calibration ???

if your serious about calibration then an optical puck is the only proper start…control panels are only as good as your eye and studio setup, which is a limited improvement over nothing.

thanks for the headsup jeremy…