Im working on strawberry slices.
I made a decision to make 3D copies of real slices pictured on photo. For this purpose I had bought a photo of strawberry slices and started my work.
Firstly I circled the shape of the chosen slice by spline and extruded it. I got a low-poly model of the slice.
I imported this model into Zbrush and remeshed it by using DynaMesh and ZRemesher. Now the topology is more even in size and follows the shape of the slice. Then I pushed in the dimples for strawberry seeds. by using standard brush.
The time of an aperture has come. Careful look on a strawberry slice reveals its structure. It consists of multiple cells. On the major part of the slice it can be imitated by just bump mapping. But its not the case of the aperture. The inner surface of it is formed not by a knife, but by nature. So it is very uneven and bumpy. To create this type of the surface I decided to use NanoMesh brush.
I masked the aperture and deleted all other geometry (I made a backup subtool beforehand). I also made an InsertMesh brush with a model of the cell inside (it looks like a cylinder with hemispherical ends).
Then created a NanoMesh brush and filled every single quad with it.
I switched the distribution method to random scattering and chose the right number and size of the cells. I also oriented them along surface normals (with little angle deviations).
Now I have to merge the cells with the backup subtool. I did it by merging
Then I used DynaMesh to combine two meshes into one and voila! High-poly model of a strawberry slice is ready! 4 million polygons!
Ive brought it in 3ds max and used ProOptimizer. This guy left me with only 3% of original number of polygons, so now it is about 120k quads. And it still looks good.
I filled the dimples with the seed and applied the materials. The slice is ready!