C4DtoA Sneak Peek - IPR and Shader Nodes

Happy Holidays everyone!

Today we give you a small preview on things to come for Arnold for Cinema 4D (C4DtoA).

Public release date is planned for beginning of 2015.

Enjoy the Clips:

Quick selection of tests on the optimized IPR implementation by Lee Griggs:

[VIMEO]115521370[/VIMEO]

Preview of the Arnold Shader Network Editor

[VIMEO]115522832[/VIMEO]

Some random shader tests:

Have a lucky jump over New Years Eve!

#Updated#

Working with volumetrics/simulation sequences works nice in the IPR as well.

[VIMEO]116180985[/VIMEO]

Turbulence FD support in C4DtoA

aaand another fresh sneek vid to shorten the final waiting period for the official C4DtoA release!

[VIMEO]119768064[/VIMEO]

Daniel

Whoa! Looks great.

Yeah, looks great! Looking forward to its release. Hope it’s affordable!

Cool
Thank you Daniel
[spoiler]Node editor reminds me not only xpresso/graphview gui and of course > final renderer node-based mat.
Do you know can Michael from Cebas be in team of c4dtoa?[/spoiler]

Wow that looks awesome. Couple of questions though:

1. Who is supporting C4DtoA? I ask this because that shading network reminds me of Cebas finalRender S2, which was abandoned pretty quickly. I’ll switch to C4DtoA in a heartbeat since it looks absolutely stellar, but only if it’s going to be around for a reasonable amount of time.

2. Is there any kind of shading language built into C4DtoA to handle stuff not included in the node network?

3. Are there any nodes that offer comparable functionality to C4D’s built-in Noise shader, especially in regards to 3D volumetric noise?

4. Do you guys support deep compositing via EXR 2.0?

-CMPX

Solid Angle is actively developing C4DtoA. No connection to FR at all, only similiar visually I guess as its based on the XPresso framework.

Basically there is such a vast amount of common nodes, you could practically create own shaders. If you are referring to OSL Editing, thats not integrated. (Only Sony uses this internally) Yet, you could also rely on the third party shaders out there, which are natively supported if available for the right platform.

Yes, and even beyond that.

Of course.

Will this be released on Windows and Mac OS X at the same time? How does the Mac implementation compare?

Yes, they are on par/identical.

Here is a list of all current native nodes available in the Shader Network.

Oh man, that just brings up more questions!

1. What is c4d_shading_engine? Does that initialize and render out native C4D shaders, similar to how VRAYforC4D does it? If this is the case, are there any limitations on how it’s used (ie, no 3D volumetric shaders, polygonal objects must have UV maps, etc)?

2. I probably should have asked before, but do you guys have any kind of support for C4D’s hair system (without exporting to geometry first!), or is there some sort of Arnold specific system that is being implemented instead?

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it and I’m really looking forward to the availability of C4DtoA!

-CMPX

Nope, C4D Shading Engine is an internal node, that offers access to the AOV system.
So you can plugin a beauty shader and several custom shaders to render AOVs with.

C4Ds Hair System is natively supported already, and uses the Arnolds equivalent curves function optionally. (eg ribbon or thick mode)

Quick question. First of all, holy crap that looks awesome. Clearly that’s GPU rendering we’re seeing, yes? Is that compatible at all with the graphics cards in the nMP or is that CUDA?

No that is cpu. As you can see in the video it runs on a single 6 core cpu
Tough i would love to see Arnold as a gpu. That would be scary fast i guess

Wait, what? Is that render previewer running in real time or is that video sped up? Cause that’s pretty damn fast for a CPU renderer. Is that running off of a PC or nMP?

Its purely CPU, Video is realtime, you can see the time counter on the bottom of the IPR window. And keep in mind its GI;)

It’s computing volumetric light, GI and reflections that fast on the CPU?

Sold.

Its Arnold = yes.

How is the integration with plug-ins like x-particles and turbulenceFD?

there will be an API for third party devs to integrate their plugins.
TFD is planned to be supported natively;)

It just gets better and better. I’m already sold! Any idea on pricing yet?

I guess the general pricing for Arnold will apply, eg you buy a license and get access to all the latest plugins available for the host applications. But I can’t tell for sure, as this is Solid Angles decision.