C4D to After Effects issue

Hi,

I want to export a “solid” via the External composition tag, for After Effects. Seems to be a prety standard workflow, but for me, when I omport the .aec file into AE, the solid is rotated.
I dont know whats wrogn, and the fix isn’t as easy as rotating the solid back where I want in AE, cause it then screws up the animation data.
Anyone know anything about it?
Thanks in advance

Have you entered the correct width and heigth in the external compositing tag? So far I never encountered this problem with a solid export.

Hm I can’t really help you with this. I have gotten this error a lot too, sometimes it is fixed by switching on relative in the export menu.

I almost always get errors if I use complicated camera rigs too.

It is not clearly stated in the Help but Solids are always exported with a standard orientation of Z pointing in the direction of the normals of the plane. This means that, if you create a plane object in the perspective view, it will be created with a default orientation of +Y. If you want it to be vertical you will probably rotate it 90 degrees in the Heading. But that will make the Z axis of the plane point upwards. Since Solids create planes that have the Z axis parallel to the normals of the plane, the created Solid will be a plane on the XZ plane with the normals pointing upward (the direction of the Z axis of your plane object). So, your plane object is now flat on the XY plane but the Solid will appear in AfterEffects in the XZ plane, hence, rotated.
Make sure the Z axis of your plane always points in the direction of the normals. This means that you need to create a plane and set its orientation to +Z or simply rotate its axis (needs to be a poligonal object, of course) so that the Z axis is perpendicular to the plane surface.

Rui Batista

You also need to work in square pixels - the aec exporter does not work properly with anything else.

Nuverian,
You can modify the solid in AE while keeping the C4d’s imported animation. Just adjust the Orientation in Y 90 degrees, and not the Rotation.
Something that helps me with AE’s 3d is to always remember that Orientation is for posing, while Rotation is for animation.

HTH.

Scott_Sp.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.