C4D is HORRIBLE at untriangulation

It’s just so frustrating… it can’t even properly untriangulate meshes it has triangulated itself, working with supplied models from other programs, you can just forget about it… it really makes some aspects of my job so tedious and time consuming…

That’s it really, I just needed to vent…

FRUSTRATING!!!

ok. last one, I swear…

I’ve found if its an orderly mesh, even with triangulation, c4d does a decent job. Its when a model has been remeshed/reduced where you get a random triangulation throughout—nothing you can really do about that.

If you have z-brush (and depending on the model) you can try running the zremesher (there was another tool in there too but forget the name) to retopologize. Might be worth a shot. Usually does a good job. Same with 3D-coat if you happen to have that one.

No solution for you, but why are the meshes triangulated in the other apps? I havent had to deal with a triangulated mesh for years other than downloading ancient .3ds files from questionable websites.

My experience is the opposite. I get a lot of models for 3D printing that have been exported from CAD applications that are horribly trinagulated. Untriangulate does a very decent job for me to iron out the worst.
I use it in n-gon mode all the time.

Have you tried checking/unchecking evaluate angle and create ngon?

I’ve had pretty decent results actually…

ye, i get triangulated meshes quite a lot, and i agree c4d’s untriangulate hasn’t been nice to me on that front.

Quick Untriangulate script:

[vimeo]43384037[/vimeo]

Howdy,

What I do is select every other ring of polygons and then untriangulate. It seems that most of the issues with Untrianglate are when it perceives and creates a quad that actually crosses a ring of polygons. With the alternating ring selection method, it won’t create quads that cross a ring. :wink:

Adios,
Cactus Dan

This was an eye-openeder for me (actually just learned about it a short while ago - maybe the 2016 NAB videos?)

Setting the “evaluate angle” to a high number like 60, 90,180 usually works very well for me.

there is a new tool called Quadrangler: https://c4dplugin.com/product-qu

but ngon “mode” is just giving you the illusion of sweet quads, and a nice mesh. it hides the crap, and does not solve fundamental issues.
Ngons are the oxymoron of (quad) modelling. You never know what you get. You export your wonderful mesh, and all hell breaks lose :slight_smile:

Well, five years later i still work this way and it still works for me :wink:

Ngons are a pot luck, random solution. they just look nice in the viewport. They dont solve any actual problems. if anythign they make them worse, cos your not in control . if you don’t care about that(as in your case), they are of course perfectly fine. if you do care about that, or you need to send your asset to somewhere else, they most certainly are not (just fine).
it is the exact same situation as when you bring in an asset from a nurbs application, and might get a triangulated mess, that you have to then fix. Exporting a c4d model that looked pretty, in c4d, with ngons, might be a negative surprise elsewhere. For the purist, not a solution. for everyone else, whatever…

Maybe we have different approaches in how we work here. I use N-Gons and Untriangulation for an inital clean up. After that i usually do an additonal step of by hand clean up to derive at a n-gon based mesh that is clean enough for further modeling. I try to stay with n-gons since this allows for more flexibility when using i.e. Bevel deformer.
In the end i usually get pretty clean meshes that are ready to print and are also still easy to modify in the future.

try to use melt to make one rectangle from two triangles?

Well, no that was never really the issue.

For some context - when I wrote this post nearly 5 years ago, I was working in a pipleline in which I was often tasked with optimizing geometry for use in the real-time 3D broadcast software, VizRT.

Sometimes I would receive files from outside sources in formats like FBX or OBJ (usually FBX) which would have fully triangulated mesh. This makes poly reduction techniques more difficult since loop selection can’t really do a clean edge loop when there are lots of of triangles involved.

Other times, I would have a C4D file built before my time there, in which the artist had run C4D’s Traingulation command before export (Viz requires triangulated mesh and at the time doing this before export gave us the cleanest / most optimized result - this is no longer the case). What I found was that even if all that had been done was a ‘triangulate’ command, the counter command of ‘untriangulate’ didn’t revert the mesh fully back to its original state. I found this behavior perplexing and frustrating, as it meant lots of manual edge melts and what not, taking what I felt should be a 2-click operation and making it into a half-day or more worth of work.

I believe I posted this in a moment of frustration as encountering it for the first time when I had a full plate and looming deadlines was stressing me out, and I really just wanted to vent to a group of people who I felt could empathize.