Bridge Tool ? How important is this tool in your modeling process ?

How important is a “bridge” tool ?
What’s your take?

Depnds on the app, I model in Wings and Cinema, both have Bridge tools but they do entirely different things! In Cinema I use it all the time in Wings only occasionally.

I use the tool in Wings to connect geometry I have modeled seperately, i’m glad it’s there…

I too use the bridge tool in Wings3d and I can’t imagine modeling somethings without it. :slight_smile:

If your working under wing3d the bridge tool is a must, but under Maya, Max, Houdini its not even important.

peanut, why is that?

I think Maya, Max, Softimage has 158 different polygons tools ( and tons and tons scripts ) that will let you manage your geometry.

under wings3d well you prolly have 10 - 12 poly tools. So your bound to use the bridge tool

Have you modeled much with Wings3D Peanut ?

im not saying anything wrong against wings3d friend im just saying that you certainly dont have the same approach under Mirai wings3d Maya XSI 3ds Max Rhino

i dont want to do a app war ( my XSI beats your Houdini ) , but i would certainly wont model the same way under wings3d that i do under Lightwave

Right ?

Peanut is right, dont forget that wings3d is a box modeler.

Whoa Whoa Whoa… hold up here a minute… let’s look at what just transpired… I asked a simple question.
I simply asked what his experience regarding Wings3D was . I made no mention of any other app.

However, now that Peanut has brought other apps into this here discussion , I really am curious as to just how the various methods found in said apps would be faster to append poly structures between two seperate objects, than the bridge tool found in Wings3D…

This, btw, is a totaly objective query, who gives a frig about app wars? I am after the nitty gritty of how things are done is all.

Like as in the case of Wings3d, I would select but two faces and hit bridge… three clicks to completion of structure bridging two objects together while adding a needed structure between.

Pretty fast workflow all things concidered.

Now, if I was in another app which offered many more tools, how would this easy task be done, and how would it be quicker ?

Would I have to manipulate a object into place between the two objects, and then weld?

Would I have to append the area poly by poly?

Would I make a spline and connect the two also using weld or whatever ?

What other options are there that I have obviously missed here?

Would I make the whole object frome splines or nurbs from the beginning? Like as in a spoked wheel for instance…

What are the various options to be found in whatever app inorder to accomplish this task? Bridging together two objects while adding a required closed surface between…

Are they as quick as 1,2,3 or do they involve more ?

How and why is it better to use bridge or another option, is what we are trying to determine, and just how these ops fit into the overall workflow. This includes number of moves, changing of modes for creation etc… the real nitty gritty, all things concidered.

I’ve never used Wings3D, but I use MAX, so I’ve never really heard of a “bridge” tool, but I think I understand what you’re saying from your description, vef.

How I would accomplish that in MAX would be to select the first object, then on the modifier rollout, click “attach” and select the second object so that both the meshes are considered part of the same “object”. Then I would go into “face” sub-object mode, delete the two faces I wanted to “bridge” together, then extrude the edges of one of the holes to the other object. Then weld the vertices.

There’s many othe ways you could do this too. You could build a “bridge” structure and weld it between the two objects, you could boolean something in (if you could get it to work! HAHA!), you could also turn on vertex snapping and build new faces between the objects… I’m sure there’s other ways too.

Definitely more steps than it appears to require in Wings3D, but I also really havn’t had to do that very often. I’m also still pretty amateur in MAX…

Hi Lord twilight, thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

this is the kind of info I was looking for and only hope that others will respond with the methods taken with thier fav tools… an objective study on “bridge” workarounds vs the bridge tool.

The bridge tool is a must in poly modeling. I use it in both Cinema 4D and Max. Without it would be difficult to connect objects that I had made seperately.

I know there are those that don’t care for it. But I like.

Spaz…

Unfortunately I don’t have a bridge tool (in Maya). I would love one though, it would be great for connecting heads to necks or hands to arms quickly. :slight_smile:

for me the bride tool is not realy important…I think when you have good snapping its very very easy and quick to do it manually

Take it or leave it…

It sure is nice tool though, but I can live without it. But if I’m working in Wings3d, then it’s really important for a lot of tasks.

<< Would I make the whole object frome splines or nurbs from the beginning? Like as in a spoked wheel for instance… >>

Just an observation, no more, no less … :slight_smile:

(Wings bridge tool also used)

pp

http://www.geocities.com/paulthepuzzles/aabikewheel.html

<< Would I make the whole object frome splines or nurbs from the beginning? Like as in a spoked wheel for instance… >>

actualy this would be very simple to model…model one spoke, duplicate and rotate. not saying a bridge tool is useless, but not essential when there are other equaly easy options out there.

bah, … the bridge tool is a important tool… period.

It is a tool which improves workflow, and anytime you have a tool which improves workflow it is a good thing…

Suggesting the bridge tool is not important is like suggesting good selection tools are not important… just does not logically make sense…