Blending Life: Pirate Captain, Ben Simonds (3D)

Title: Blending Life: Pirate Captain
Name: Ben Simonds
Software: Blender, GIMP

This is an image I made for a the Blending Life competition on BlenderArtists.org. Image was created using Blender for modelling, rendering and compositing, and GIMP for textures.

You can see a high res (2480x3508) version here: http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3813/benr.jpg

Fantastic job! Great character and the textures are really good. It’s amazing to see great work from artists who use free programs! :thumbsup:

Awesome rendering!
How long did it take to create that wonderful rendering?

superb model and render. nice hair.
great job

Wow, a truly eye-catching piece - a rare phenomenon also photographers have to fight for. Don’t know how exactly you’ve achieved that, but it’s gorgeous. At second glance the stubble at his right looks like burned a bit, but being a pirate isn’t a cakewalk and it’s still a first class piece without doupt. :arteest:

Thanks for the nice comments.

@c4dazubi08 In total I spent about two weeks on this for the modelling/texturing etc phase, and then a further week trying to get my comp to play nice whilst rendering out a high res version!

You can see the huge version (2480x3508) here .

Very nice, but there are some issues with hairs, specialy seen on high res verison - Hairs comes out form the hat in some places, also the connection with face hairs and skin looks very bad - texture wasnt prepered for hairs there and the shadows seems not to be there.

Overall very nice work.

BTW: Didnt u use some of the commercial sculpting utilities?
if not, tell us how did u model wrinkcles etc, cheers

@keraj37 Everything apart from textures (done in GIMP) was done with blender, including sculpting. Blenders sculpting tools are getting more mature now (still not a zbrush or mudbox level, but usable nonetheless) and so I was able to use a mix of alphas and standard brushes for sculpting, just like one would in zbrush. It can handle pretty high poly counts to - I got to about six levels of subdivision on the base mesh - around 1.5million polys if I remember correctly.

Here’s a screen showing the sculpted details from early in the project:

Thanks for sharing, looking at your work and other at blender.org or here on cgtalk I must say that Blender is going to be very powerfull utillity and for free! That is amazing. It even can sculpt, woo!

After I looked again at your work, I must say that u could play more with it in Gimp, it lack of postproduction IMHO, but I am the person who loves big contrast and hugh post, so I can be wrong:)

cheers

EDIT I made the postproduction on your image, and if u agree to show it let me know, becouse I dont want to manipulate with your work without your permission, cheers

Really impressive, well done!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.