Blender Tutorials

Or with CTRL+Q using this free addon:

using the mouse scroll wheel you can increase the duplicates and moving the mouse left-right you can adjust the offset.

Also, notice that is not as destructive as it might appear.
After you’re done with the array, let’s say you do other operations (for instance, add new objects), when you select the array empty null and press CTRL+Q again the options are back and you can again tweak the array.
Pretty handy.

I’m not a big fan of animation nodes (too much setup for simple things lol)…
But that might be a good way of doing it.

Thanks…managed to install that and get it working, although I don’t think it’s as flexible as C4D’s basic Array modifier with the exception to not only being able to duplicate real geometry but also merge the geometry as one. Pretty basic when compared to C4D’s Mograph Cloner…but that’s probably not surprising.

I’m not sure Blender will ever get anywhere close to C4D’s Mograph, but to be honest I don’t think any other 3D software will be either (at least, not with the same C4D simplicity & elegance).

That said, I’m not quite sure to understand what you mean by real geometry and merge.
Is it this what you need?
(sorry for the quality of my GIF)

With the R-Array plugin, you just need to press ‘J’ and it switches all the duplicates down to just one, no need to go to the object manager as we know it as you’ve shown.

I’ll probably have a play with the other modifiers over the next few days /week, right at the moment, I’m giving the particle smoke effects a whirl… Something you need to spend hundreds on with plugins to do the same… the old Pyrocluster module doesn’t really compare. It’s quite sad that Maxon didn’t ever provide something at the same level within the program after 10 years of it being a possible thing as demonstrated by third party plugin developers…

Good catch, I’ve missed the description in the Help overlay. Was that the merge and real geometry you were looking for?

Well, it simulates C4D’s Array of not duplicating real geometry…but right now… I’m making fire balls, which is rather fun lol. I bought a new Sapphire RX 570 8 Gig card earlier this year, I don’t think my old Palit 1 gig card would be able to perform as well… can’t be sure if it’s a combination of CPU and GPU working with the particles though, although I suspect it is.

Fluid sims aren’t going to rival RealFlow…but it’s damn easy…and cheap.

Mantaflow is coming, will replace this old fluid system.

This was from a couple years ago. Probably rivals the fluids in x-particles. And Mantaflow looks more promising.

Tonight I watched this tutorial by EJ Hassenfratz and I wanted to try it in Blender

I haven’t done much animation in Blender as I use it mostly for modeling. To my surprise, this task was quite easy.
What it would need is some better settings for the cloth in order to get more displacement:

How you did that in blender? :smiley:

With the Vertex Weight Proximity. It works with pretty much anything, even particles.

In my case, it’s before the cloth modifier:

Thank you.

Sure like “Solidify” in Blender above adding Cloth in c4d–when wanting to add thickness to mesh. Lots of controls in Blender here and a more sensibly named tool for the job.

I remember looking for Mograph like stuff for Blender like 5 years ago, and remember seeing this…the plugin is available from the youtube description. I found it pretty cool… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtb5R6wck2g

One area where C4D definitely lags behind is the UV territory.
Here’s a brief overview more than a in-depth tutorial of some of Blender’s features in that regard:

As for procedural shaders, this tutorial is well executed:

I spent some time with Blender’s cloth system and created an animation. It was easy to work with and I like the result…Here just a quick EEvee render. The basic principles of cloth really aren’t much different than c4d.

Animation from the exploration:

I was following this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+cloth

I wish there were more movie output options in Blender, but I suppose not a big deal.

You know we got that. :wink:

Yes I’ve used that plug-in from Maxon labs. Yet it’s still not built in.

I’m not bashing c4d, I love c4d. It’s just puzzling why as of R20…in 2019… the defacto way to add thickness…is a cloth tag. It’s a bit bizarre.