I’ve built up a cartoony suitcase character for a client in 3DS Max. The rig and skinning’s pretty much done and has worked well but there’s one part with regards to his eyes that’s bugging me after testing and I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas on how to do it.
So here’s the character:
The main body is skinned to 3 bones. Almost all of the mouth is skinned to the second bone so that it doesn’t warp strangely by combining the movement with the lip-syncing.
The eyes are both just directly linked to the top bone.
What this means is that while bending the second bone works fine:
However, bending the head bone (to give the whole body a curve rather than just the base) move the eyes into weird positions:
I’ve tried attaching the eyes using an attachment constraint instead of linking to the bone but that just means that they shift around bizarrely and independently instead.
I don’t have a specific question for how to fix that issue, or even how best it should look in the end, but I was just wondering if anyone had some better rigging ideas that might come out a bit better for the eyes.