Best Resources and Tools to Complement C4D

I’m curious to see what tools and complementary resources folks here turn to regularly.

I’m looking to update and organize my library of HDRI, materials, brushes, overlays, 3d scans, models etc.

I’ll start:
-Use Substance Painter and to a lesser degree Substance Designer. Also Allegorithmic’s (Adobe’s) BitMap2Material.

-Use the free SubstanceShare. Have eyed Substance Source.

-I just explored Poliigon – so far just using their free stuff. Really like their c4d plugin. It auto pipes their materials into channels for the common renderers.

-Played with Quixel’s free sample MegaScans

I’d like to bookmark some free sites and see what others here see as the best bang for the buck.

Materialize for making normal, bump textures of any image, InstantMeshes to do retopo/decimete heavy meshes.

I suppose most folks here know that PixelLab has a lot of free model give-aways. Some of the more recent ones are pretty good.

The Free Daz studio and their free cloth engine to import Character
based cloth simulations to render in C4D Via point cache.

Mixamo for auto rigging/weighting and Iclone (pipeline version with 3D exchange) for mocap retargeting and editing. Export to FBX or Alembic for render…

RizomUV does a great job filling in the missing UV tools for Cinema.

I’m finding CGTrader is a pretty decent site for models, as an alternative to the slightly over-dominant turbosquid.

And, assuming you qualify for the Indie licensing, Houdini is basically a massive open-ended plugin factory. Obviously it’s a bit more than that besides :wink: but the simplicity of Vellum, the shattering and mesh packing makes it really useful for grinding through simulations that would make Cinema choke.

Chris,

I pulled the trigger last night, buying Rizom. I’ve only played w/it an hour or so.

One thing I’m not liking is that compared to Seamilar (the c4d plugin) the hit zones on edge selection are so fine. It’s easy to miss.

And it’s not as user-friendly on first use as Seamilar. But clearly it has a lot more muscle and range of features so I suspect I’ll get used to it. The extra $3 on the c4d bridge was def. worthwhile. to get nice round-tripping.

You’ll soon get used to it. It’s incredibly powerful – I’ve still not really got used to all its functions – but I think it’s a really clever app, and great in conjunction with Substance Painter.

@Darth_Mole

I’m playing more with Rizom.

Some of the interface/UI combos seem strange to me. It took me awhile to learn that to re-position a UV I needed to hold space while middle dragging. I suppose I should have paid more attention to the Tips Panel…and I’m sure I’ll be eye-balling that a lot moving fwd.

Also non-standard use of control and shift for selections also threw me off.

Within a day or so I hope to achieve some degree of comfort with the mentality of program. I’m starting to think I might like it, perhaps like it a lot. I sure didn’t think that last night.

OK. I’m a believer. Rizom is pretty sweet. Remarkable what a little time and some tutorials can do.

Yeah, you just have to re-learn some muscle memory. The non-standard use of keys threw me as well. But it’s just so powerful – and if you don’t much care about the way your UVs look, it’s just a few clicks to unwrap something.

If you like Seamilar you should have bought 3dCoat not Rizom, as Seamilar is an attempt to mimic 3dCoat UV features in C4D.
In my humble opinion, 3D Coat has the best UV workflow. Super easy to use and actually enjoyable. I used to HATE UV’ing before I discovered 3DCoat’s UV capabilities.

@hikarubr

Yes 3dCoat is really slick. I wanted something more integrated and I’ve quickly become enthused about Rizom. Used it a bit more last night and was loving it. Played w/Welding tool, packing options…

Eager to try it’s automated approach to large terrains and complex objects like trees, etc. Some video demos on that are really impressive.