Benefits of Workstation Level Computer with Corel Painter

I am learning Corel Painter 2017 and currently have only a novice level of skill with it. One of the problems I have encountered is that it bogs down considerably when doing real watercolor and real oil with a canvas of about 16" X 23" at 300 dpi, which is the size I usually work on in Photoshop. I have seen a tutorial that suggests working on a smaller/lower resolution canvas and then upsizing/uprerezzing at print time.I don’t believe that this is a good idea because the upsized/uprezzed canvas will be degraded. I want the output to be professional level.

So I am considering upgrading my computer. Currently I have an Intel Core i7-4930k processor with 32 gbs of Ram.

My questions are:

(1) If I upgrade to a workstation with a multicore processor (say 10x) and 64 gbs of ram, will that eliminate the computer’s choking with real watercolor/oils?

(2) If not, how far upscale in computer power do I need to go to resolve the problems I am having with Corel Painter? Or is there currently no solution to this problem?

Mike

Does anyone have any contributions to make regarding this issue?

hey,

i do not have experience with corel painter but generally speaking having lots of cores will not benefit you for most tasks outside rendering. there’s a limit to how well operations can be split up across CPU cores and it’s usually fairly low (2-4 tops) for semi-interactive tasks - assuming they can even be multi-threaded.

it sounds like best for your application would be the fastest i7 4-core (8 virtual cores) CPU your budget can stretch to.

have a look at benchmarks to see by how much faster these CPU’s are for a single thread compared to what you use now to have an idea how much better corel might run. top end should be models with about 4 ghz right now.

Thomas,

I appreciate your comments. They are very helpful.

I hope others with experience on this issue will also comment.

Mike

Corel oils are slow and clunky, to get around that- prominent artists (Micheal Kutsche/ only guy I can think of atm) use the chalk brush with the blender and his results tend to look polished.