BEGINNERS' Drawing Workshop - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Thank you, Rebeccak. I’m completely awed by your work and grateful for all the time you invest to help others

Thanks, Abby. We’re actually in similiar situations: IT professionals enamoured with the possibilities of CG and with 3D in particular. I’m encouraged to see someone like me who is jumping in with both feet! After reviewing your work I’m also encouraged to see how very well you’re doing after such a short time.

Everything’s on the Wacom thus far. I posted on the Illustrator group at Yahoo! asking for opinions and everyone was agreed that it was better to learn traditional methods and then go to the Wacom. I’ve been a bad boy and not taken their advice (yet) because I’m a geek and have a hard time working on anything other than a screen!

As endurance is a major theme in my life (note my Avitar - a picture of me completing a recent marathon) I’ve got lots of opinions about that. In a nutshell I think endurance is born from desire. If you want something bad enough you’ll persevere.

I drew several iterations of the hands. Here’s the two I’ve chosen to post. I had a really hard time with foreshortening.

Ahh, welcome fellow geek :twisted:

I prefer the hand at the top, the lines seem a bit surer. I started to ask if you tried toning your paper first because for me that shading (with a bit of eraser for highlights) really gave me a great depth effect, which was nice for this one. You might just give it a try with old sk00l pencil & paper, toning the paper, just for fun and see how the results compare. :shrug: I am going to be following your progress with interest though to see how you do with the wacom!

That’s funny about marathons and focusing on endurance. My sport of preference these days is boxing/kickboxing - all about “sprints” (go all out as hard as you absolutely can for the 2-3 minute round, then recover as quickly as possible and jump back in!) I wonder how that effects my drawing…

hmmm… wouldn’t I be happy if I could make any kind of progress in 2-3 minutes (bing**bing) My drawings feel significantly more like marathons! :scream:

Abby

Thanks David! I’m glad that you and a few others are still finding this thread useful. :slight_smile: I definitely recall how much the book helped me. And wow, marathoning - I can’t recall ever thinking running might be…fun…kudos! :smiley:

Could someone help me understand what’s wrong with the picture of the second hand in my previous post? The ring finger is supposed to be pointing toward the viewer. Instead it looks as if it’s malformed (which, I suppose, is partially true as I have rather crooked fingers) or even as if it is stretched away from the viewer. Even after several iterations I wasn’t able to figure out how to draw it any better.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Np, hope this helps: :slight_smile:

Regarding endurance, it pays to keep in mind that in your “hippy-artist mode” you’re supposed to forget the presence of time. Sometimes I’ve started about 9pm and gone right through to 3am in the damn morning! The focus I had totally blocked out all concept of time…

But still, somewhere in this thread is my Richard Hatch sketch. For that one I just kept going for as long as I felt like and called it a night when my focus “broke”. If I tried to push further on I would only have made mistakes. Art from the heart(not in a commercial sense when a deadline looms over you) is best when you don’t rush it: Take your time doing it by attempting 30minutes to settle in, and if you feel you’re in the mood - carry on til you tire.

But as with all things in life you just have to keep at it. Shame at the beginning you feel like you have to climb everest when all you have to do is start off with leaping over a mole-hill…in this case, its only 30minutes insted of 2hrs!:smiley:

Thank you, Boone - good advice, indeed. :wise:

Yes! I understand perfectly! I didn’t think I’d get such a clear answer but your animated gif, Rebeecak, really does the trick. Thanks!:slight_smile:

No problem, glad it helped! :slight_smile:

Re: Deco-3D.

You’re most welcome!:slight_smile:

i’m getting into this post a bit late. i actually bought the book some time last year. here are my pics so far. i am really trying to get better at drawing.

here is another update.

DuttyFoot, welcome! So glad to have another person along for the ride. Nice job on the hand and the upside down drawings. What do you think of the book so far?

Abby

the book is pretty awesome. i am currently starting on the 5th chapter.

David: very good work on the hands. I can’t advise much, and Rebecca’s pretty much answered your question. Keep it up.

Dutty: Welcome. Very good work on the upside-down drawings.

Hi,
I bought the Book “Drawing on the right side of the brain” one year ago.
After i got to the half of the book I stoped to work on ot (don’t know why).
Now, I have the desire to finish the book. So, I think it would be the best idea to start at the beginning because the last time I did an exercise in this book is a few months ago.
I also orded yesterday the worbook and The Art The Artist’s Complete Guide to Figure Drawing by Anthony Ryder. I hope both books will pay off but I’m not sure if the book by Anthony Ryder is not to complicate for beginners?!
I also thought the workbook pf “Drawing in the Right Side of the Brain” is a good extension to the mainbook because you have a lot of extra exercises and tasks.
What do you think about the two book I ordered?

Great books to order. :slight_smile: While Ryder’s drawings are advanced, his method is actually very simple and is very good, even great, for beginners and artists of all levels. He breaks things down into the same kinds of simple methods as does Edwards in DOTRSOTB. Definitely try the exercises in both and see what works for you. All are methods which you will revisit over and over again, getting better as you see new things and as your hand eye coordination improves.

Speak of the devil, I’m going to attempt another Drawing tonight with Betty’s book next to me. For some reason I want to draw Jane Seymour…:smiley:

First post here - although I’ve been reading these forums for awhile - thanks to all for this awesome resource.

I’ve always wanted to learn to draw, but have never took an organized instructional approach to it. So, I’m committed to working through this book. I also want to queue up some further exercises in gesture, anatomy and figure study to jump into after this book (lots of good suggestions on these forums - thanks). I’m actually making myself work through the workbook associated with this book so that I dont have the option to tear up a drawing and try again. So, you may see a slight deviation from some of the exercises from the main book, as I think they are slightly different.

One last thought - since this workshop is long past, should these sketches instead be posted to a personal sketchbook?

Ok - here’s my pics. One thing I note right away is that my lines are very sloppy - bad hand/eye coordination I think. I will work on line quality as I go on. The times for each pic are below my sig on the pic.

Thanks for any feedback.

me:

my hand:

and the corner of my den:

-Eric

Hi Eric,

You are most welcome to create your own personal Sketchbook Thread - it is the best way to interact with other people on the boards, and the way in which you are most likely to get feedback. With your just beginning to draw, the key is to take things slowly and to think about what you are doing as you draw - and to draw a lot. There’s a long road ahead but I think with encouragement and practice, anyone can learn to draw - check out plunq’s video link here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4345509&postcount=3