Becoming a Better Artist – Critical knowledge and techniques for today’s artists

The content of the course it is unique, and I really enjoyed, I had problems with my time and one of the most cool things about this course it is that I can continue posting my homework after the course is over and get Rob’s comments. I do really recommend this workshop!

Jose Enriquez

Hi

How much time on average the course takes / week or day. Is it possible to do if you are working full time. Also is there real time interaction, if so, on what times does that happen (i am in utc+2 time zone)

Cheers

Rami

Since the students are all different levels (from beginners to advanced professionals), and have different levels of English comprehension, the amount of time it takes differs greatly for each individual.

Many of my students are full-time artists working in games, VFX, visualization, graphic design, illustration, animation, or are full-time students in college/art school.

The interaction is forum-based, so there’s no problem with time-zone differences.

It really doesn’t matter how long you take with your assignments or reading/watching the course content, because there are no deadlines for this workshop. I especially designed it so that you can go at your own pace, and you can ask questions or turn in your assignments anytime you want, even months or years after the original 8 weeks has ended.

I even created a private alumni forum for all my students, so I can continue to mentor all of them for as long as they still need my help. I’m always answering questions, giving critiques, monitoring the students’ growth and keeping them on the right path (according to the changes in their personal and professional lives), and sharing useful resources in the alumni forum. The entire course content is also hosted permanently in the alumni forum, and regularly updated to the latest version.

So essentially, you’re not really taking an 8-week workshop–you’re actually getting a long-term mentor who’s always going to be there for you when you need help and guidance.

The next run of Becoming A Better Artist workshop has started enrollment (October 7th to December 1st, 2013)!

http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=432

The link above contains all the details regarding the workshop such as the course contents, week-by-week detailed outline, student testimonials, and enrollment details (Make sure you click on the “What you’ll learn” and “Week by week outline” expandable bars–they contain a lot more information within).

The next run of the workshop has been announced, and it will start on Jan 6th, 2014, and run until March 3rd:
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=458

I’m taking a break in December so I can spend more time writing novels, and I badly need a break too. I’m looking forward to seeing the next batch of bright-eyed, bushy tailed students at the start of the new year. :smiley:

The next run of Becoming A Better Artist workshop is now open for enrollment:
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=485

Maybe 2014 is the year that you really make an effort in your artistic development, so you can progress towards your artistic aspirations in the most effective way possible. :slight_smile:

Hi Rob.
I know enrollment for the next session of becoming a better artist is on. So I want to post a testimonial.

“This has been my best educational experience ever. Rob is an exceptional artist and an exceptional teacher. Better than that he is an exceptional person that truly cares for his students. Taking this workshop was the best decision I’ve ever made in terms of any sort of education. We are now past week four in the current run and it is truly unbelievable all you get in it. Rob will carefully guide, support and push you through the very foundations of art and no matter your skill level, you will get a rich and unforgettable experience. I honestly recommend this to anyone who wants to step up their game and become a better artist.”
Fernando Martins - February 2014

I just wanted to take a little time to provide some feedback on this course, hopefully to encourage those who are wondering whether it is right for them.

I was an absolute beginner when I started this course and now, after five weeks in, I’m a professional. Okay maybe that is a slight exaggeration. Well alright a huge one, apart from the bit about being an absolute beginner. I had purchased a Wacom tablet and some drawing software and been playing around with it. I’d also purchased some books and one or two video tutorials, subscribed to magazines, watched everything on YouTube and hoarded web sites. I was a genuine “all the gear, no idea” man. But I did know I had no focus, no plan and no real guidance on how to produce art that I wanted to produce. I was forever looking at other people’s work and saying “how do I do that?” I needed some help.

University is too expensive and invasive on someone who has to work full-time so that option was out. So I hunted around to see what the Internet had to offer and found this course. The course description sounded like exactly what I needed but I was drawn to this part:

“Once a student finishes the workshop, he’ll be granted access to the private forum, where Rob will continue to mentor the students by helping them with their personal artistic and career development strategies, answering questions, giving critiques, sharing resources, as well as continue to expand and update the workshop course material to the latest version that is being offered to future students. All of this is offered free of charge, and with permanent access.”

Really? So when I’ve finished the course and paid you my money you’ll continue to tutor me? If you think this sounds too good to be true, so did I. But that was before I met Rob.

Firstly, his course material really is amazing. Not only is his writing style gripping to read it’s also full of WOW moments. Even after the first week I knew I’d chosen correctly. It is straight to the point, very insightful and full of real examples that prove his points. You very quickly realise how much you didn’t know. You also soon realise that you have a wealth of valuable material which you’ll be referencing continuously as you learn to become a better artist - and realistically way after that. His many videos cover tips and tricks that demonstrate and complement the written material. It all comes together to make a solid foundation for learning. What is a bonus for me is that all the other material I have purchased or hoarded has actually increased in value, because they now have a context in my learning and are acting as supplementary material to what Rob has given me - well in some cases, some of it has gone in the bin!

But then there is also Rob’s feedback and support in the forums. He is obviously a very driven individual who has strived to be the best he can be with his creative endeavours. He’s a story teller foremost but expresses this in a whole manner of creative outlets from art, to music, to the written word, and is determined to give something back by helping others do the same. He draws upon much of this background when he provides his feedback which means you can’t help but listen to what he has to say, as it is so insightful. He is always honest and critical with his feedback and doesn’t give you the response your mother would just so he doesn’t dent your ego. He wants you to learn and improve so he ensures his feedback makes that happen.

I can’t praise this course or Rob enough. He’s had such a positive impact on me and my learning that I can’t help but shout out loud about it. Really if you want to start taking your art seriously, to start making some improvements, then you just won’t be disappointed with this course.

See you in the Alumni forums.

Thanks.

Gary

Testimonial:

I completed the course about 10 weeks ago and have noticed a big improvement in my work since. I seem to be much more confident, quicker and more patient when working. I honestly found many of the assignments to be very hard but the intense workshop has really been worth it - frankly, I wish I had enrolled earlier. Robert was a marvellous teacher and the course material was clearly explained. His critique was clear which was extremely helpful. Thanks Robert!

Side note: the course requires someone to really engage with the course material, be dedicated and to be very humble. Neither Robert or his course material should be lightly considered, it really requires someone to engage and learn hard. Any hard work put in will be worth it!

hello! I’m really new to digital art or drawing using a tablet and using photoshop. do I need any training before i can participate in the workshop?

All I can do is sketch and I’m not really good with applying colors, seeing shapes, seeing values and forms. I can only draw portraits but not accurately proportions are always weird and I get really frustrated because I don’t know what I should fix or where I went wrong. Maybe what I’m trying to say is I’m looking for a training menu or something? and someone who can teach me where I went wrong and what to do to fix it. It feels like I’ve been hoarding a lot of knowledge from books and some workshop that I went to and unable to apply them.

I’m really eager to learn if I can participate in this workshop. I really am a good student and I’m willing to do anything to improve my art.

Hi ponkan101,

You definitely do not need training before participating in the workshop - it is your training! It sounds like this course is exactly what you’re looking for. The notes cover an in-depth look in colours, shapes, values, forms, light etc. You name it and it is in here. This material is an invaluable reference.

Also, Rob will be a huge help to easing your frustrations and will point out exactly where you’re going wrong. He has tons of experience and will be able to guide you in your work to getting it right. Plus don’t forget all the help you will receive from fellow students.

If you’re serious about your art as you sound like you are and need help, then this course is everything you need.

Thanks

Signed up to the course on Friday, can wait for it to start on the 10th, really looking forward to it

Hi ,

after reading through all the notes and lesson guides etc i was wondering if anyone could hint at the kind of stuff you will be creating after some of the lectures.

I know from reading the notes that you don’t have to do anything straight away but i myself am trying to keep myself to a schedule to make sure i don’t fall out of practice and loose momentum so if anyone could hint at some of the stuff that would be great as im really looking forward to this workshop.

James

The workshop assignments for each week tackles the lessons taught that week, and they are usually very specific exercises that focus on the core fundamental challenges, and are designed to rewire the way your brain thinks about creative visual problems and how to solve them, as well as how to execute your own ideas in the most effective manner in terms of technical, artistic, narrative, and emotional aspects. There are many assignments and they fall into two categories. First type is training exercises that strengthen your foundation knowledge and skills. The second type has you utilizing the lessons you learned and create your own original works using your own ideas.

sounds great, thanks

Coarse starts Monday, sooo excited lol

Finishing up the current offering right now and can say without hesitation this workshop is outstanding. Robert has collected and presented so much important information for artists and has presented it in a manner that is easy to consume and digest. Something that would take years if not decades to accumulate all packaged and ready to go. Of course we have to do our part and apply the proper level of effort but he makes it easier to focus on the important aspects.

I am a very novice artist/student (who works in IT as my full time job) and this workshop has set a foundation for me to grow my artistic goals upon. I was flailing before this workshop, jumping from tutorial to tutorial understanding what was being taught but not building a greater artistic knowledge or foundation. Robert has provided that for me through this workshop. Cannot recommend it enough.

The next run of the Becoming a Better Artist workshop is now open for enrollment!
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courseinfo.php?id=524

Hello, I just joined the forum and I noticed your workshop that interests me (more among the others). I have some questions. I read 10 pages of this topic, but I’m not feeling like reading the 23 others, because there is not much more than the course description. So I’m asking directly them.

• How much work is expected each week? I know it is highly dependent on motivation, objectives, skills, available time and other factors, but could you hint? How long are the videos? And the text? How much time will you afford to a student? Are we learning more or about the same amount compared to an typical art school? Well, most importantly, is it possible to work on it while having a job ?

• Are videos html5 (like youtube videos) so I can watch them on my phone ?

• I don’t really get this psychological insight… Are you going to describe the industry so we can better apprehend it?

• How is the interaction managed. You say the course is not real-time, but that means there will be only post-the-day-get-a-reply-the-night forum interactions. Which means at most seven replies per week which from my point of view seems little for a workshop whose core is interactions. I think that quick interaction is needed sometimes. Is it possible to find a suitable morning-noon-evening time (depending on where you live) at some point where we are all awake to chat?

Thank you and good luck with your nth workshop !

I answered your questions via the email you also sent me, but I’ll go ahead and do it here too, so that others who have similar questions can see them too.

I’ll answer both of those questions at once.

There is no deadline to the workshop at all. My teacher to student relationships are meant to last a lifetime. When you become a student of mine, I’m your mentor for life. You can come to me anytime and ask me questions and get guidance. I’ve been mentoring all my past students nonstop for the last few years, from the very first batch of students of the first workshop back in 2010 all the way to now–they are all still being mentored by me everyday. So the interaction is not limited to just a week per topic–it’s for a lifetime. My students talk to me on facebook, in email, and in the private alumni forum everyday, and I spend time mentoring them everyday.

With that said, how much time a student takes to read the lecture notes, watch the videos, do the assignments etc varies a lot. Some spent 30 hours a week, some a fraction of that, and it doesn’t matter either way because you can take as long a you want, since there are no deadlines and the workshop doesn’t really end after the 8 week–it goes on indefinitely in the private alumni forums, and our teacher/student relationship is long-term, for as long as you still need my help. You can spend months on a single week’s course content and that’s totally fine too. I have students turning in assignments even years after the workshop they took ended, and it makes no difference to me–I help them no matter what.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time with the students–far more than they expect, so many are quite surprised (and thus the passionate student testimonials you saw on the course description page). I give very thorough critiques and I answer any and every question, no matter how complex it is, or even if it’s very personal questions.

Generally speaking, almost every single student I taught said they learned far more from my workshop in 8 weeks than they did in the years of art schools they attended. I believe them when they say that, because I’ve taught at art schools and I know just how bad many of them are. I don’t think any of them went to the very respected art schools like The Art Center in Pasadena, where the teaching is excellent and the students are expected to work very hard at professional level while there, because if they did, they probably wouldn’t need to take my workshop. Some of them actually took my workshop in order to prepare to get into a prestigious and very competitive art school such as Art Center. In fact, one of my past students got rejected by Art Center, and then after taking my workshop, he improved his portfolio and got in on the next try.

Basically, I would say that unless we’re talking about a high quality and respected art school taught by industry veterans whose work you actually respect and have a talent for teaching and are passionate about teaching, my workshop is probably better than any art schools below the top tier prestigious ones. The difference is that I teach what others don’t (or can’t), and I actually give a damn about my students and treat them like life-long relationships and mentor them for as long as they feel like they still my guidance. You’re not going to find that anywhere else.

All the past students didn’t have problem viewing the course contents on phones and tablets. Even without html5, there are still numerous mobile web browser app that can handle flash (they’re all free too), so no matter what, you shouldn’t have any problems.

It’s far more than that. We’ll get into the emotional turmoils that people go through with their feelings of insecurity, frustration, anguish, confusion, self-loathing, when they struggle with their artistic development, as well as cover important topics like how to use effective time-management to make more time for your artistic growth, how to stay motivated and disciplined, how to assess whether your personality is even suited for this field, how to create a highly efficient learning/studying/practicing strategy that will yield the fastest and most effective results so you don’t waste previous years going around in circles and not improving much.

We also will cover topics like how to deal with office politics when working in a professional studio, how to develop and manage your career as an artist, how to face various career challenges and frustrations such as being unhappy at your job, wanting to change roles in a studio, what to prioritize in your job search, how to deal with clients and supervisors, and so on.

There’s also the creative aspect, such as how to tap into your personal experiences, emotions, moral code, sociopolitical positions, etc and use them to create compelling works that have emotional and intellectual resonance.