Thanks very much for the ideas.
Yelling… I’ve got that covered.
Each of the servers are identical dual quad-core, XP x64, 8GB, MAX2010_64, etc.
I just tried (awhile ago) stripping down the plugin.ini file on the bad slave to eliminate plugin issues… same error.
As far as service packs… whenever I install them, I install on the whole farm at once. In addition, since so many of these servers are physically identical and are used primarily for MAX/Combustion rendering only, I setup the MAX install with all folders, plugins, etc. on a single system and then use a syncing app to literally, copy the entire MAX folder structure onto all other slaves. So for example I have:
PC16 - XP x64, Setup MAX2010_64 here, copy to others
PC20 - Main Server (WinServer 2003)
I’ve already tried the copy folders trick but so far, it hasn’t triggered success. I will be continuing to try all these things until I get this solved but it seems like a registry setting problem to me.
As I mentioned previously… I originally installed MAX2010_64/BB2008 on all systems and installs went fine. When I first tried net-rendering the only issue was that the Main Server (PC20) was showing some weird messages in the Manager and Server when they were run (see this post here). (Because this system is WinServer 2003, it occasionally will have weirdness when you install stuff cuz it runs a bit different than XP x64). I tried for a while to solve these weird messages thinking they were some sort of error. In the end, I re-installed BB2007 on this system and ran the BB2007 Manager here. All other slaves running BB2008 Server connected to the BB2007 Manager no problem. So currently because of the BB2008 mystery messages on PC20… it runs BB2007 instead and all slaves are rendering fine to it.
So the other day, I go to actually start net-rendering a MAX2010_64 project across the network and I submitted a render job. As fate would have it, shortly after that I had a power problem where my rack was flipping the breaker. When it did this, all the UPS systems kicked in and supplied power. But I didn’t notice this condition for awhile and when I did, the UPS were almost drained. SO… I manually powered down PC16 and PC17 in the rack (to reduce the power load) and then turned the breaker back on. All other slaves continued rendering uninterupted . Guess which slaves I can’t make render now. PC16 and PC17. This could just be coincidence… but interesting.
Anyway… will keep trying but it sure would be nice if Autodesk didn’t have this stupid app spread all over the system and instead had a simple EXE to run like in the old days.
Thanks again for reading!