Back to the business of Messiah and what it can do today

I hope to share some of my messiah discoveries in the coming weeks and provide some details on how there were made for those in the community that would like further details. So to start ‘volumetric lights’

Anyone remember volumetric lights? As part of the work on the Gary’s ‘Lighting Challenge: Light Bulb’ thread I’ve been playing with volumetric lighting as seen below poof of concept shows.

This scene has one spot light and the volumetric’s are set at the ‘Render -> Settings’ sub-tab. In the ‘Atmosphere’ block.

GI is 0.55
GI samples 5
AA 3

3 minutes render time

R

Is there a noise feeding the light to give the “smoke” it´s puffiness or it that the GI

Hi AAAron,

No noise feeding the light directly, the noise is controlled by the ‘Noise Gain’ setting in the ‘Atmosphere’ block. Here a 2 quick screen shots, the NG = 0.59

The second NG = 1.0

These are extreme setting to show the point, hopefully. :slight_smile:

R

cool! thx for the info bits. :thumbsup:

Excellent stuff :thumbsup: I’d love to see how you progressively discover new things. Are you rendering with 4 threads there? What system specs are you on?

Thanks Paul,

Currently, I’ve got Dual Core desktop with 2GB Ram, and as a result I’m able to run 4 threads and everything is pretty fast (beats the Compaq Deskpro DN now sitting in a corner!).

I’ve got some stuff coming up that I didn’t think were possible with particles, also some Speed Hazer stuff. Yeah I’m really digging Messiah at the moment and have realised that this stuff has always (mostly anyway) been possible just needed me to experiment a little.

R

Anyone remember Messiah particles? There was quite an extensive upgrade in this area in 2.4x as shown in this thread : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=341051&highlight=particles. I’ve recently been continuing my further study of Messiah particles, and been pleased with the scoope of effects possible. Here are 3 WIP examples of effects using particles and procedurals that aren’t the usually smoke and fire examples.

R

Very nice Rush. Is the aliasing on the top grass due to Messiah rendering or compression?

rush! Wow, you’ve really brought this along. The grass has solidity and - if not knicks - then shap in its curve. Great!

Thought I’d post a frame from my fluid simulation early tests. The fluid simulation was calculated in Blender (thanks to Nichod for the Blender advise) and exported as a series of 60 obj files, loaded in Messiah via ‘DMorph’, textured using ‘Easy Glass’ and a quickly rendered. I will provide a link to the complete simulation later.

R

edit: I’ve improved the render quality.

Thought I’d post a frame from my fluid simulation early tests. The fluid simulation was calculated in Blender (thanks to Nichod for the Blender advise) and exported as a series of 60 obj files, loaded in Messiah via ‘DMorph’, textured using ‘Easy Glass’ and a quickly rendered. I will provide a link to the complete simulation later.

Still looks a little blocky. I thought you increased the subdivisions. I’m betting you didn’t check to make the surface smooth. I can work up a quick file for you, if you’d like. Its pretty great that we can create a fluid sim in blender and bring it into Messiah.

Thanks for the help with particles Rush.

I’m continuing exploration of Blender fluids, this time adding a few obstacles in the shape of square blocks. Again loaded in Messiah via ‘DMorph’, textured using ‘Easy Glass’ and a quickly rendered.

R

Though I really like Messiah’s displacement ability, I didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t see what was been displaced until after a render (I think this has been bought up before.) Well one solution is to use the ‘Bloat’ effect dynamically to control the displacement, allowing you to see in the viewport the displacement and all the other controls you have by using an effector. Below is an example.

I’ve also attached a link where the file is available and a quick animation demonstrating the effect.
http://www.babylondreams.de/wordpress/displacement-using-bloat-effector-in-messiah/

(Many thanks to Alex for space on his blog )

R

A frame from an explosion effect animation created with a gradient and procedural noise.

R

Hey don´t be shy, give us a quicktime!:smiley:

Inspiring work going on here :thumbsup:

Here are two interesting (well I think they are interesting), intricate particle effect. Hopefully it shows the diversity of what is possible with particles shader nodes in Messiah.

AAAron: I will post the animation hopefully on Alexk’s blogg with node flows etc, when I get a bit more time.

PaulNewman: thanks for your comment

R

Those last one are so nice, really like them:thumbsup: They are very stylistic!

Some procedurals surfaces that I’ve made, if anybody wants them just shout .

R

perty cool! this program desperately needs some good presets so share away !