Ok, I did a search to see if this topic was covered and I didn’t come up with much. I’ve found that in Maya 7, when I do an automatic mapping, then I try to move the object, the UV information goes haywire. The texture moves and gets all messed up. On a couple occasions, I did searches here to try to find a solution. I never found one, so I decided to explore the problem on my own before asking questions. I find I learn a lot more about the program that way. So, anyway, this is a spoiler
Solution: select the object that’s auto-mapped and open the hypershade. Map the input and output connections of the object. Browse through all the nodes and find all of the ones labeled “polyAutoProj#”. You can’t delete these nodes, or the UV info goes crazy again. But you can delete the “polyAutoProj.manipMatrix” output connection to the poly shape. Simple fix. Move your object around, do a little dance with it. The UV’s stay put. happy happy
I hope this is useful to someone out there. Have a nice day!