Australian Chapter - who's from Australia?

Err, lets have it in Canberra!

cricket cricket

Well, hehe, I’m in Canberra.

An upstairs room in a pub could be good. There’s a few decent places aorund the inner city - newtown, erskineville, glebe balmain for instance.

hmmm… thats a bit hard i just say make it city sydney… dont go like balmain or newtown/… just do it in area where everyones familiar too like something between central and town hall stationa pub around there… well if i may pose an option , me and the class that im in COmputer graphics college usually after class go to a pub up the road… there a good seating area there we can chat have a beer and discuss anything with no disturbances… and a thai place upstairs in case anyones hungry… if you guys are interested then i’ll be glad to give address details etc… let me know please… cheers…

There really aren’t any decent pubs I can think of around Central or town hall…most of them are dives, and there’s no parking for those with cars (like myself). That’s why I was recommending an inner city area - close to the centre but far better ambience, far more options. Let’s all put forward suggestions, and we can vote on it.

Once a location is settled upon, it’ll be fairly easy to give people directions and a map from Sydways…

-g

Good idea guys, i agree with unitstudio. I’ll vote for balmain, many places to choose from around that area!

Well even if balmain is difficult to get to, east sydney and darlinghurst (darlo bar for one), woolloomoolloo (there’s some great places along the waterfront - ther’e one place that has the larget selection of beers I’ve seen and a huge upstairs area - i’ve forgotten it’s name), paddington (heaps of great pubs, or alternatively, the fox and lion at Fox studios), and surry hills are all really easy to get to from the city centre, either a simple bus-ride or often you can just walk.

Oh and Balmain is a simple ferry ride from Circular Quay

-g

I’ve from Brisbane but if I’m free love to come down and check things out when thay happen:bounce:

Cool, it’d be great to have you come down T4D. it might be cool if there’s enough people in each city to send open invites to people in other cities. It therefore open for members across the country to visit a meeting in any city. I wouldn’t mind travelling interstate occasionally to catch up with the melbourne or brisbane groups.

-g

Very true… A good excuse to get out of our own cities for a breath of fresh air!

Another Melbourne-ite here :wavey:

:bounce:me from Sydney! :bounce:

Would love to meet all you big gurus out there.

sweet unit … when you guys figure it out and where its gonna be held i’ll be there for sure…balmain wherever… its all good! see you guys soon!

Another brisbanite here :smiley:

Cool, I just noticed this thread now. I’d love to get this going. Actually last weekend a few of us in Sydney organized a meetup at Clock Bar in Surry Hills. The turnout was really good. I think we were 30-40 people from various companies and CGTalk (Grant, I’m surprised Vinh or anyone else didn’t get in touch with you about this!).

It was really cool and I was thinking of doing this once a month or so. Would be great if it could all be umbrellaed under a CGTalk chapter.

What exactly would these chapters be for? Meet and greets? Or also including lectures, exhibitions, etc? Tell me what’s needed and I’ll see if there’s anything I can do.

Wiro

Cool, the clock is an awesome venue - I’d go with that for sure, and besides, there’s also plenty of restaurants in the area to start off in if we feel like organising dinner as well. As for not telling me about it, maybe that was intentional? :wink:

It was really cool and I was thinking of doing this once a month or so. Would be great if it could all be umbrellaed under a CGTalk chapter.

And if we can get them all to sign up to CGS, all the better :smiley:

What exactly would these chapters be for? Meet and greets? Or also including lectures, exhibitions, etc? Tell me what’s needed and I’ll see if there’s anything I can do.

Wiro

Good point. :slight_smile: Any ideas anyone? I would say the meetings will tie in with announcements and roll-outs on CGS… :shrug: I guess :slight_smile:

There is also the Sydney Siggraph chapter
I’ve never been to it before but they’re having an event this Wednesday (Basic principles of camera and lighting) which I might go to. Is it worth starting up our own chapter if this one is already about or is it totally different?

…clueless

Wiro

Hehe, hardly intentional. I’ll get in touch with you for the next one for sure!

Wiro

I’m an hour and a half from the the city, two if the traffics bad, but count me in if there’s something going on.

Could I get a list of people interested in meeting up at the AEAF on June 1st? Some of you have already mentioned interest or attendance:

George Samuels (ilandesigns)
Jay Miller (JayCMiller) - possibly… if work forks out the cash. :smiley:

yeah haven’t asked about that yet, I’ll get back to you when I know.