Attribute to make curves look thicker?

Good morning

Is there any attribute to make a curve look thicker in pixels counted? I am using curves to mark out path on top a made-live mesh. Having the curves a bit thicker would let me see a bit better. Now that they are so thin, they vanish sometimes under the live-mesh.

Or maybe I need to use MEL to reach some kind of hidden attribute?

Thanx!

I know that in some cases, you can make poly edges look thicker. So I thought that maybe something like this can be done to curves as well.

I would be glad if someone has any clue.

This isn’t what you asked, but it might help out. If I need to see a curve in a crowded jumble of wires I just override its display color and set it to something easily seen like yellow.

Cheers,
Pete

Thank you Homy, but unfortunately that wasnt what I was looking for.
I know how to change the color, but this kind of problem is more like that the curves are built directly on top of another mesh (by using make-live).
However, something tells me that making it look thicker wouldnt help unless its not actually physically thicker, like in 3dsmax (making a curve/spline renderable).

I guess i need to create some kind of tube out of these curves in maya - sounds boring and time-consuming already :frowning:

I guess i need to create some kind of tube out of these curves in maya - sounds boring and time-consuming already :frowning:

string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;

for ($i=0;$i<size($sel)-1;$i++){
	extrude -ch true -rn false -po 0 -et 2 -ucp 1 -fpt 1 -upn 1 -rotation 0 -scale 1 -rsp 1 $sel[size($sel)-1] $sel[$i];
}

just wrote this script for ya to automate the ‘tubing’:slight_smile:

create your desired profile (like a simplifyed circle) then select all the curves you need to thicken and then the profile and run the above mel script :wink:

i could also just assign a paintfx stroke and disable it in render.

just paint effects->curve utilities->attach brush to curve

the default brush will work fine

Cool! Both tips are great - and I thought that there was no hope :slight_smile:

Yashu: Is it possible to make the script create a curve, like circle -r 0.2; and then run your code? Of course, the selection has to be saved into some string or something?
So when running the script, it does do the complete thing at once.

Pixlix: This one was cool as well. However, I get some weird twists here and there. When moving around the splineverts they get sometimes fixed. Any idea why these twists comes?

sure, now select your curves and run this script:

if (!size($sel)) error "Select some curves and then run again!";

$circle = `circle -r 0.2`;

for ($i=0;$i<size($sel);$i++){
	extrude -ch true -rn false -po 0 -et 2 -ucp 1 -fpt 1 -upn 1 -rotation 0 -scale 1 -rsp 1 $circle[0] $sel[$i];
}

//delete $circle;

also if you want to delete the circle(and the construction history) after the ‘tubulisation’, uncomment the last line :slight_smile:

Yashu,

I would like to add:
setAttr “???.curvePrecisionShaded” 25;
where ??? is the object name.

It seems that the tube looks “lowpoly”, and more curves precision looks better :slight_smile:

sure m8 :slight_smile:

if (!size($sel)) error "Select some curves and then run again!";

$circle = `circle -r 0.2`;

for ($i=0;$i<size($sel);$i++){
 	$surf = `extrude -ch true -rn false -po 0 -et 2 -ucp 1 -fpt 1 -upn 1 -rotation 0 -scale 1 -rsp 1 $circle[0] $sel[$i]`;
 	setAttr ($surf[0] + ".curvePrecisionShaded") 25;
 }

delete $circle;

but keep in mind that when you press the 3 key maya sets that number to 4… 25 is a huge number, you’ll get viewport slowdowns even with 2-3 tubes, something like 6-7-8 is more appropriate :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:

Speed of the rocket - thank you for replying so fast :slight_smile: It works just the way I wanted, and now I know what code is needed for more addons eventually.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.