Attach or link particles to objects in pflow.

Hi,

I am fairly new at Pflow so maybe someone can help me out. I have a pflow system which after finding a target, the particles attach themselves onto an object. The problem is once they are attached, I cannot keep them attached while that object is moving and rotating. I need to have the particles moving with the object and maintaining the orientation of the main object. I know there are ways to just attach those particles while the object is moving, but once the object rotates, the particles do not stay at their position on the surface. I hope this makes sense.

Bish…

Hello there,

I see what you mean, I think the following will help you:

take the output of your “find target” test in your initial event
link it to a “position objet” operator, ans set the target object as the emitter
select “lock on emitter” and “animated shape”

as soon as the particles are hitting the object, they stick to it and respect its movement.

hope that helps

Mark’Huss

The Position Object operator has a deficiency in this task. For a new particle coming into event, it disrespects the current particle position and generates a new one on the surface of the object. As a result, there is a visual “jump” in the placement of a particle.

The only way to resolve this problem with the standard Particle Flow operators is heavy scripting.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

And yes, Position Object doesn’t control the orientation of the particles. Please look at the thread

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152367

It might have some relevant information for you.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ve started to play around with the scripting. I guess one way to do it is to store the position of each particle once it reaches the surface (when the find target continues), that is, store the position/direction vector in respect to the pivot of the target object. I’ve started to play around with this idea with little success. Unfortunately I am fairly new in Max scripting and my project has limited time for completion. I think for the meantime I fudge the effect with another way. But it is not to say I have stopped experimenting with it. My main hurdle so far is to get the actual direction vector of the particles in respect to the pivot. I can store these in a global array and recall them to reposition each particle. Theoredically anyway…

Bish…

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.