I have created hair for my characters - I have found 3 levels of animation after creating the hair system with guides - I don’t use grooming.
Step 1 - rigid hair that follows the character - is basically creating the guide curves to your character’s hair and eyebrow areas.
- using utilities to style the hair
- animate the character and the hair “follows” along - in a rigid character motion.
Step 2 - dynamic hair - I would leave the eyebrow hair alone - this would be for the hair.
- on the main TAB for the hair you can find the Button to Create Hair System - turn on animation/live to get this available.
- click on it to create an nHair system - turn on all 4 options
once the nHair system has been created - play back - the new nHair curves go crazy and move around alot.
RUN this script in a python TAB:
import maya.cmds as cmds
cmds.select( ‘hairSystem1’, r=True )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.startCurveAttract’, 1)
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.attractionDamp’, 0.5)
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.noStretch’, 1 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.drag’, 0.05 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.motionDrag’, 0.05 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.damp’, 0.05 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.attractionScale.attractionScale_Position’, 0.75 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.attractionScale.attractionScale_FloatValue’, 1 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.attractionScale.attractionScale_Position’, 1 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘hairSystemShape1.attractionScale.attractionScale_FloatValue’, 0.6 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘nucleus1.subSteps’, 12 )
cmds.setAttr ( ‘nucleus1.maxCollisionIterations’, 16 )
- PLAY BACK for much subtler motion.
- play with the options above that I have set to add more or less motion
- once happy - BAKE out the nHair curves - export .abc alembic file
Then go back to the place where you clicked on “Create Hair System”
- turn off LIVE
- load in the exported curves
- this dynamic motion of the curves is now added to the character’s static motion - 2 levels of motion - static + dynamic!
Overall wind noise
In the utility TAB you can add the modifier WIND
this will move the curves - ADD to each description - so 1 for the hair and 1 for the eyebrow hair