Apple TV ad banned in U.K.

Apple TV ad banned in U.K.

British TV regulators banned an ad for Apple Computer’s Power Mac G5, saying its claim to the title “world’s fastest personal computer” is not fully supported.

http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-5105661.html

saurus

doesnt surprise me… coming from a country where they walk around the streets with wave emission detecting antennaes, trying to bust you for watching public television without buying a license…

“Ello mate!! wots this, only a bleeding black and white ticket for a color tele!! off you go to scotland yard!! go tell it to agony auntie!!”

How the heck can you detect if someone is RECIEVING an RF transmission?? That makes no sense to me…

Originally posted by flipnap
[B]doesnt surprise me… coming from a country where they walk around the streets with wave emission detecting antennaes, trying to bust you for watching public television without buying a license…

“Ello mate!! wots this, only a bleeding black and white ticket for a color tele!! off you go to scotland yard!! go tell it to agony auntie!!” [/B]

I hope you mean that as a joke :shame:
Be careful about poking fun at other peoples cultures. A lot of people won’t find it funny.

I was always suprised that they could make those claims in america. Not only was it not the first 64bit PC, it also isn’t the fastest.

Originally posted by Leigh
I hope you mean that as a joke :shame:
Be careful about poking fun at other peoples cultures. A lot of people won’t find it funny.

It is true though. One needs a liscense i the UK to watch TV.

You only pay to watch bbc 1 and 2 and the radio. That way we dont have to watch adverts during movies and tv shows

Originally posted by Omnicrola
How the heck can you detect if someone is RECIEVING an RF transmission?? That makes no sense to me…

All modern receivers use something called “superheterodyne” circuitry. It’s been ages since I studied this, but if I recall correctly, it has to do with converting the broadcast frequency to a standardized intermediate frequency (IF) for which the demodulator is optimized. This serves to improve signal quality and range for the same broadcast power. Superhet circuits are in all modern AM and FM radios, and I expect all RF equipment, in some form or another.

Superhet circuits tend to leak IF somewhat, especially in unshielded equipment. So-called “radar detector detectors”, or VG-2, allows police (in certain jurisdictions) to detect the standard IF’s used in radar detectors. I expect that the Brits use similar equipment to look for IF emissions from unlicensed addresses. To evade it, you’d have to design and build your own TV using nonstandard IF circuitry; probably cheaper just to pay the license.

Originally posted by Array

haha you need yo pay license in Sweden too, to watch TV. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by CourtJester
All modern receivers use something called “superheterodyne” circuitry.
<snip>…
techie jargon
<snip>
radar detectors
<snip>

You are correct, sir.

Originally posted by flipnap
[B]doesnt surprise me… coming from a country where they walk around the streets with wave emission detecting antennaes, trying to bust you for watching public television without buying a license…

“Ello mate!! wots this, only a bleeding black and white ticket for a color tele!! off you go to scotland yard!! go tell it to agony auntie!!” [/B]

We all pay one way or another.

Some countries get 15 minutes of adverts for every 5 mintues of programs, in the UK we get no adverts on the chanels we are paying the licence for, but we do pay a yearly fee (licence).

It would be great if all those television companies would work for free, but somehow I don’t see it happening :shrug:

the UK we get no adverts on the chanels we are paying the licence for

funny, i get adverts on ALL the channels i have to pay for a license in the uk…

doesnt surprise me… coming from a country where they walk around the streets with wave emission detecting antennaes, trying to bust you for watching public television without buying a license…

I dont mind paying a license to watch the telly…it payes for the BBC…somthing almost everyone on the planet can benefit from

funny, i get adverts on ALL the channels i have to pay for a license in the uk

do you get adverts on the BBC?

and why does it bother you anyway?

You pay to receive what they throw over the air on TV in your country?!?!?

Are you fools?

It’s one thing to break into a cable box and steal what wasn’t intended for you, but when companies cast about with their programming and you still get charged from what you detect in the air, let alone PAY FOR IT… well… that’s just a sign that modern people have no spines anymore. You might as well pay to smell your neighbor’s grill while they prepare dinner.

No wonder the Brits can’t have guns anymore. They’d be dangerous with the government limitations imposed upon them.

well… that’s just a sign that modern people have no spines anymore. You might as well pay to smell your neighbor’s grill while they prepare dinner.

just different I suppose, here in the uk you have always had to pay for a tv license. Its No1 purpose is to pay for the BBC, which receaves no money from advertising…it makes its money from the licenses and selling shows to other countries.

Given the alternative (crap like fox news) im happy to pay my money to fund a non commercial company like the BBC.

No wonder the Brits can’t have guns anymore. They’d be dangerous with the government limitations imposed upon them.

speeking for myself…im more than 100% happy to have a ban on guns. Maybe you need the in the US but I can see no real reson to have them here:rolleyes:

back to subject…
it wasent truthfull so it got banned

Originally posted by Array

It’s the same thing in this country, Array. But insinuating that it means the entire population is daft because the government has ordered that you must buy a TV license is a little insulting.

At any rate, on topic - ads should be banned if they are telling lies.

I would be happy to pay to support such a nice, nearly unbiased, content-rich, cutting edged designed and inspiring TV broadcast company like BBC.

I have instead to fill my ears with all that crp on other crp stations.

No there is no TiVo here and I watch BBC via cable :wink:

BBC :buttrock:

The BBC would also ban statements like:

‘the most unique’ or ‘uniquest’

because they are bad english…

by definition superlatives cannot be used in this way :wink:

so be it…woops, I mean so bbc it!

Atwooki

Sweden - and I think, the rest of Scandinavia - plus many other countries - have similar legislation regarding guns. Here in Malaysia guns are totally illegal, carrying the death penalty. And you’ll find that the rate of children dying from gun-related incidents in the home are much lower in these countries than in say… oh, the USA. (Not to mention gun-related incidents outside the home…)

(edit: I know it’s OT just wanted to answer webfox)

I think you people in the uk are lucky to have it banned. any commercials making false claims should not be aloud to air to millions of people, the integrety of the internet is always in question, but at least TV, your not going to get horribly misguided because of actions like these.

BTW, I always watch bbc News on my Digital box, believe me, it shows alot more then what american and canadian news shows especially when it’s unbias stuff towards america.