Any cool tricks for rendering a cloudy day?

Physical sky has the haze feature but that seems to shift everything towards yellow. I realize this can be counter acted with the reb/blue shift slider but I’m wondering if there was a better way.
When I plug a HDRI into a sphere and assign a surface shader to it I lose too much color saturation. I also like the ease of changing the time of day with the physical sun+sky set up…

Has anyone played with using the Physical Sun and Sky to simulate a cloudy/overcast day?

Many thanks!

Hi.
If yellow appear, tune the whitepoint on exposure photog, in this case, on a blue washed :slight_smile:
In your haze sky, for appear the clouds, you get a multiply divide node, with a luminance and a file node with your clouds map, but the clouds map is most important that is on gray scale.

So if I’m understanding you correctly: increase the haze attribute a bit. Tell the white point to be a bit bluer than normal to counter act the yellowing that occurs when haze is increased. If you want to see some clouds, use a multiply/divide node (5000,5000,5000 output) with an image file of some clouds mapped into the haze channel. The cloud file should be black and white.

I’ll try it!

Thanks again

i think its still beter to use techniques like mapping light and using light setups with several lights and get the look in comp cuz its more art directed. i said that since i tought you are looking for a very specific look.

Oh yes you are wright.
This way is only for the environment reflection, cluds shadows and more. But the clouds in compositing final.

thanks ytsejam1976,could you put a reference of what you want ,because im practicing lighting shading and comp already and just looking for contexts to practice.

some really nice tricks the way Antony Sakton uses:

http://www.explore-3d.com/Fast.php

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.