Any advice?

Justs started sculpting any advice this is my first sculpt ever

Hello im new

Good start.
Make 400 more!

Any other tips like skills wise? Ik I need more practice but I don’t want to pick up bad habits either. im using blender btw.

Good reverence is important. Dont work from imagination in the first month. You need first a good understanding of shapes and volume. Even if you do a creature use ref images.

In the case of your creature i would use ape and aligator refs maybe some turtle.

Grab pure ref and do a collection of ref images first.
https://www.pureref.com/

thanks for the tip. I continued my reptile like creature and I got this so far but the hands look weird and idk what to do.

Create 400 more. There is no other way to learn it.
Stop this one start a fresh one with more references.

I agree with Christoph above.

The whole “Ten Thousand Hour Rule” almost seems trite or cliche at this point, but it does carry weight. In effect, the rule suggests that mastery of any given skill takes about ten thousand hours. Thus, practicing for about 40 hours, the typical length of a work week, it would take you about 5 years to go from neophyte to (relative) master. That sorta makes sense. As mom always used to say, “Practice makes perfect.”

I would suggest the following going forward.

1. Always go from simple to complex. Tackling detail when you haven’t nailed the basic forms is a recipe for disaster and will only complicate things.
  2. Study anatomy. Find some good books like “Dynamic Anatomy” , “Cyclopedia Anatomicae”, or “Anatomy for 3D Artists”. Even with an alien character, there are certain physical, practical rules to obey if you want the figure to be believable.
  3. Start with a simple base mesh. A good way to do this is by laying out some primitive shapes and then boolean adding the results. Get those proportions worked out early on. It’s much easier to fix a problem before it becomes one.
  4. Check your model from all angles. It may look amazing from one, but totally flat or disfigured from another.
  5. User reference material. It’s not cheating.
  6. Impromptu speed sculpts are nice, but try not to engage in a long project without a concept sketch or some idea of where you’re going. You want your model to have a sense of harmony and coherence.
  7. Always seek critiques. You’re going to mess up A LOT at this stage. That’s fine. Sucking is part of the process. Just know that, as you progress, you’ll suck a little less each go around. Don’t dismiss critiques just because you don’t like them. Not everybody is right, but every opinion is valuable. There’s no room for thin skin as you’re learning.
  8. Don’t be afraid to fail.
  9. Respect the fundamentals. CG is just another way to express yourself. It’s art. As such, learn stuff like composition, lighting, color theory, classic concepts like the rule of thirds or the golden spiral, etc and so on. You don’t have to be good at 2D to be great at 3D, but it pays to have a reasonable idea of the theory and how to apply it in something that you ARE good at.
  10. Have fun. If you aren’t then why bother?

Thanks for the tips. I found out that sculpting is very similar to free handing a sketch (which I do all the time) im going to learn the basics. but I want to finish my alien first bc I already am halfway through that. its also helping me learn the brushes as well.

For your first model, it’s great!
Whether your 100-th model will be better, depends solely on you, not the number of iterations.
Where to go from here? You can specialize in honing your modeling skills, taking someone else concept (with asking a permission). This way you will learn also the mondset of the concept artist.
The second way is to become at least a decent concept artist. This way you will become a top-notch modeler, being able to visualize both in 2d and 3d.
I would dissuade from trying a free modeling from one’s head, but you can try it for some time.
After years of modeling, I came to a conclusion modeling is just a tool. Like a hammer, or a chisel. It needs a good concept first. You can create in 3d solely, but for it to be believable, you need a special concept design training.

any good recommendations for learning concept art?

Be prepred to learn 2d. Most ‘concepts’ are worked out in 2d first for speed and thow-away factor;
Say a director asks for 10 concept sketches for a given character and asks you to refine only 1 after a first look. Or to combine aspects of two of them. All of this may happen in only a few hours.

If you did all that in 3d it would be weeks of work and most of it thrown away. Most studios won’t work that way.
Refinements will happen rapidly until its close enough. Only then go 3d.
And most of the time the 3d may be a different artist too-say a zbrush expert in modeling team. Not nessessarily a ‘concept artist’.

There are exceptions-like a very mechanical model. Classic example a Transformer and working out how all te bits and bobs fit together ‘conceptually’. But 3d concepts are rare enough that it might be hard to make a living out of that.

Come to think about it-maybe Look Developement or ‘Look Dev’ is something you might check out too.

Thanks for the tips.