another zbrush thread

Hi all, so how many of you guys have bought zbrush2?, I’ve played with the demo 1.55b and the zsphere modelling seem incredibly powerful, I’m also keen on the fact it can handle incredible mesh details

it’d be cool to see any work people have done with it, all I’ve really seen so far is people rendering the head that’s available on zbrush central, if you’ve got some cool zbrush stuff rendered in c4d, post em here :slight_smile:

bump…:blush:

the zsphere look peachy gotta agree…and by some accounts v2 is a very different tool from 1.5.
would be interesting to see some of the detailling you can do in zb on some of your organic models would make a good accompaniment to your toolset i would think…some of those aliens could have even more detailing on them!
:thumbsup:

when i look at some of the zb results people post i get the impression the skills of some of the artists posting makes it look easier than it is if you get my meaning.

when i look at some of the zb results people post i get the impression the skills of some of the artists posting makes it look easier than it is if you get my meaning.

yeah I know what you mean, I’ve seen a lot of comments saying something like “wow, that’s what zbrush can do” as though most of the work is done by zbrush without any input, it looks like a tricky app to master…

this thread was started perhaps a little to soon :blush:, but I’ll reckon I’ll just go ahead and buy it anyway :D, it sure is cheap enough :bounce:

yeah very tempting…i’m kinda curious as to how stable it is?
seems has a good film pedigree so you would assume stable and yet i see plenty of comments on works saying started in zb but had a crash and had to restart over…not my idea of fun…so i’d be v curious how stable people find it?
:shrug:

Hiyas!!

I find ZBrush to be relatively stable. By that I mean when doing average run of the mill tasks in it there are very few to zero crashes. Most often the crashes occur when you start trying to do complicated model handling when dealing with very dense meshes (500,000 polys + ). I think the occasional crashes happen there because sometimes I am force feeding a lot of input through all the pipelines on my machine and Windows just balks at it and shuts it down. Overall though crashes are not a very common thing in 2.0. Like any program, save your files/tools and save often. :smiley:

Just letting you guys know Pixolator posted a new timelapse video, more info in the Zbrush forum:

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015643
http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies.html

Originally posted by squidinc
Hi all, so how many of you guys have bought zbrush2?,

Me! :smiley: I’ve bought it. It does have a strange workflow at first but you’ll get used to it and after a while it even starts making sense.

I’m planning to use it for landscapes and environments mainly, I’m not that much into characters and creatures although that seems to be the main thing it’s used for. I’m still learning, haven’t really produced anything final yet but it’s fun to use and only crashed twice since I’ve had it. And that was in the beginning when I didn’t know what I was doing. :wink:

I don’t really like hires modeling, so for me it’s great - I can do something with just a few polygons to give it a rough shape and then add all the detail in zbrush. Here’s a model I’m working on right now…

Still work in progress. Haven’t finished detailing the bottom area. Plus later on I’m going to use projection master (sounds like projection painting, haven’t tried it yet) to add some even more detailed displacement for the bark.

So it’s not just for adding bits of detail here and there, it can completely replace most of your ‘usual’ modeling. Plus it lets you do stuff that’s otherwise impossible to model!

Nice work Janine.
Is the image showing the displaced object in C4D already ?

Anyway, here some similar environment stuff :

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015056&p=

Well, I just downloaded the time lapse video and ait literally looks like magic to me! I still don’t get the workflow, but I would love to add all that detail. It really looks like your sculpting!

Anyway, I’m coming very late to this party…just my observations…

Originally posted by Mentat7
[B]Hiyas!!

I find ZBrush to be relatively stable. By that I mean when doing average run of the mill tasks in it there are very few to zero crashes. Most often the crashes occur when you start trying to do complicated model handling when dealing with very dense meshes (500,000 polys + ). I think the occasional crashes happen there because sometimes I am force feeding a lot of input through all the pipelines on my machine and Windows just balks at it and shuts it down. Overall though crashes are not a very common thing in 2.0. Like any program, save your files/tools and save often. :smiley: [/B]

ok, this is going to be a fanboy post, but damn, you’re work is awesome :smiley:

I’m planning to use it for landscapes and environments mainly

cool tree, I hadn’t really thought about using it for landscapes :slight_smile:

Can somebody tell me if those bones are really as simple as the timelapse suggests?

I’ve seen this before in another timelapse and I’m still confused why other programs would have all this confusing hassle if it’s really as simple as that…

I bought Zbrush2 and havn’t had one single regret. I’m pretty much doing 3d work as a hobby to build up my skills before trying to get work doing it and Z2 has really made things extremely fun! I’m not the strongest character modeler by any means but I can take my lower poly faces and in no time at all make a decent looking mesh out of it. As far as stability goes, it’s only crashed on me once. I was playing with a really high poly object and had silo and cinema 4d open so my systme was bogged down…so really it was probably my fault anyway that it crashed. :stuck_out_tongue: If you do characters I’d say Zbrush is a must have for detailing and texturing. Hell, no matter what you do it’s worth the money.

Here’s a little crappy speed modeling test I did with SILO then detailed it with Z2. It’s rendered with C4D CE+…

Originally posted by ghopper
Nice work Janine.
Is the image showing the displaced object in C4D already ?

Thanks. :slight_smile: No, that’s a screengrab out of zbrush. I’m going to do a nice rendering once I’ve finished it.

OK heres some old 1.55b stuff just to show 2 ways of modeling with “zpheres”

adaptive: (easy,fast,lowpolys)

Unified: ( easy, not to fast, highpolys )

All I can say is that zbrush 2.0 is the perfect companion to any rendering/animation pak out there…

You can use it for lowpoly speed modeling sessions, 3d texture making, high definition modeling …( I can go on and on…)
…but( a big BUT) user interface takes some time to get used too…
so be warned and give it the time it needs… then it fits you as a glove. :wink:

— end of sale message— :wink:

BTW… my “avatar” is also modeled in Zbrush… but only with one regular sphere as a base…

When or how are UV maps created? I’m still confused on the workflow…

Can I model in Cinema and bring that into Z for adding all the fine details, then bring it back to Cinema and paint it? Will the UVs I created in Cinema still be true? Or do I creat the UVs after it’s been in Z…

Like I said…confused…

workflow example… (zbrush - wings - cinema4d)
->external link.

you can create the UV´s in Cinema and work with your object in Zbrush or you can create UV´s in Zbrush where you have several options ( standard UV´s and UV-tiles…)

zued: thanks for the info! Looks like a pretty straightforward workflow.

Another piece of software I’ll need to consider…

here is my very first zbrush model…be kind

http://www.freewebs.com/zoso_zoso/creature.htm

got potential…muddy wart man…kinda got a muddy sludge feel to him…if you can add some arms…and get the mud/sludge movement downwards a little before the drip would look v cool.
dunno if you’ve seen spirited away…the stink spirit in the bathhouse comes to mind.:shrug: