Annoying computer habits of friends, spouse, loved ones, etc

My girlfriend asked me to help here with something on her laptop… I instinctly emptied the trash can as soon as sat down … I dunno why… I shouldn’t have done it… anyway she gets all freaked out and says “I was saving things in there”??? Of course my reaction is less than sympathetic… “don’t save things in the trash”!! Oh and somehow my empting the trash has something to do with the flash player no longer working!!! with windows I wouldn’t doubt this being the case… she probably installed the program into the trash bin somehow :shame:

Another bad habit is that she will never leave an application open… anytinme she’s shows me something it’s this constant opening and closing of one app to get to another… even though her system has enough ram to have at least twoor three major programs open at once!! ARGH!!!

saving everything on the dektop…everything !!!:banghead:
having every frikkin app in your sys tray or task bar grrrr…

b

Originally posted by boomji
[B]saving everything on the dektop…everything !!!:banghead:
having every frikkin app in your sys tray or task bar grrrr…

b [/B]

ROTFLMAO!!!:beer: I HATE that one!!

I also LOVE hearing:

This computer is a piece of shit!! Even though it is 10 times better than mine AND newer:annoyed:

or that one “buddy” that reformats EVERYTIME some minor thing happens, and THEN asks to “borrow” every piece of software I have ever paid for even though he makes FAT bank…asshole.

Let’s not forget the guy that LOVES fiddling with his registry

or or or

The d00d that downloads EVERY app on the planet and has a Tray FULL of apps and then bitches :

“I’ts too slow for some reason”:surprised

BLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

-Dave

Thanks for reminding me of the crap I go through with these people. 'preciate it …especially BEFORE I have to hit the highway.

umm my skanky housemate when he goes online for 9 hours straight. We don’t have broadband so it ties up the phoneline. Annoying.

That’s it and umm. macs piss me off but I just wanted to put that in. :smiley:

I have come close to emptying other people’s trash cans as well :slight_smile:

My friend’s dad’s desktop is SO littered with icons, there’s no background space left. “NO!! Don’t move them! I need them all!”

A lot of these “annoying” habits seem to come from inexperience, or ignorance - some friends are just not computer literate.

I made my friend has a"Downloads" folder to keep all the install files he downloads. “Yes, I downloaded it to my Downloads folder. Where’s my Downloads folder?”

“Yes I downloaded it. Well, I don’t remember to which folder.”

“It’s not working. Yes, I am sure I downloaded the right one… What? I have to install it too?”

“I didn’t want it so I just deleted the whole folder. Whaddya mean UnInstall?”

:applause:

Originally posted by markbones
[B]

“I didn’t want it so I just deleted the whole folder. Whaddya mean UnInstall?”

:applause: [/B]

hahah, I remember when my mom did that. I think she’s over that stage now.

c:\program files\

I’ve grown up being both mac and pc literate, so I get annoyances from both sides of the computing world.:surprised

The most frequent one is “I can’t get onto your computer. What’s your password?”

Desktop saving also bugs me. The only things I have on my desktop are the ones I can’t get rid of!

And freakin’ closing the explorer window! I HATE that. I permanently have an explorer window open set to my most frequently used folder, then people come along and close it when they shut the pc down!

And what’s with them saving EVERY POSSIBLE link in my favourites? I’m sure they’re never going to look at that amazon page with the “Windows 95 for dummies” book ever again. I found I had over 10 megs of favourites! Do you know how long it took me to clean all that crap out?

And THE MOST hated thing of all:
LEAVING HALF-EMPTY TEA MUGS ON MY DESK!
For starters, they didn’t even finish drinking the tea, which is such a damn waste, then they leave the cold milk-scummed dregs for me to find when I come home!

Um… yeah… I think i’ve got a few anger issues to work out.:surprised

• Opening/editing files directly from removable media, preferably the slowest ones…

• Theme mania: custom sounds, colors, fonts, wallpapers & screensavers (preference for shareware ones)

• Saving instead of Saving as and then complaining a lot about losing that critical document.

• Spending a lot of time reading that blatantly obvious piece of SPAM as if it were a personal communication.

@Gmask: Installing into trash bin??? LOL

Originally posted by gmask
My girlfriend asked me to help here with something on her laptop… I instinctly emptied the trash can as soon as sat down … I dunno why… I shouldn’t have done it… anyway she gets all freaked out and says “I was saving things in there”???

You’re lucky, man, my girlfriend always rags on me to empty the trash, not to keep it full :stuck_out_tongue:

i knew of someone who got mad because i ran spybot and got rid of gator. “Hey! i use that everyday man, also why is my computer running so slow its new?”

I really hate when some friend of my family expects me to fix their computer and expect not to pay me. Lots of horror stories come from that beginning.

Also my grandma calls all the time everytime theres a error and she will read this huge error messege over the phone to me (acctually my mom first and she has computer repair skills)

Also I would get a call from my scared grandmother because she did an ILLEGAL operation and a program closed. I still tell her you didnt break the law its just there was an error in the computer

pea~

phone rings

It always buggs me when ppl have their folders set to thumbnail view… Especially seeing as how i usually have to help people find / move/ copy/ fix etc. I’m so used to detail view so i can find what i’m after in a flash grrrrr…

Having said that i’m guilty of some of the other peeves ppl have… I often download stuff to my desktop basically so that i either have to move it somewhere organised or delete it and that way i dont have too much useless crap littering up my machine (cos if its on the desktop eventually it’ll bug me enough to do somethign about it)

Also i work from home so i’m often online for more than 9 hours at a time (getting ADSL when i move in about 3 weeks).

DaveMcD

ive been hassled far too many times for free repair work, that all i say when someone asks for help is:“what’s it worth to you?”

they think im kidding the first time. then i ask for cash, wine, or beer up front.

people get off your case quick :slight_smile:

otherwise:
i have a friend who always asks me questions about his computer, expecting me to know exactly what the configuration is.
i am at the point that i wont even talk to him anymore, simply because he wont leave me the hell alone, even after i have fixed his problem :thumbsdow

It drives me nuts when people have a scroll wheel on their mouse, but still use the scrollbar arrows. I cringe when they want to scroll down and work so hard to get the cursor over the little arrow box then proceed to click 50+ times.

Also people who have the quick launch toolbar open, with the IE button on it, but continue to go through the 3 click process of

Start>Programs>IE6

Computers are mostly an efficient tool, use them efficiently.

Damn… I hate thumbnail view too.

The only thing thumbnail is good for is quickly reviewing images.

My mother runs XP on a computer with 64 megs of RAM. She runs it in 800x600 on a 15" monitor with large icons turned on and all text enlarged to 14pt or so. Her taskbar is on the side, and is set to autohide. Her desktop icons are not organized in any way, they are in fact not aligned to a grid, rather scattered around the desktop haphazardly. If I ever need to use her computer for anything, I am not allowed to change any of her size settings, since I always forget to change them back (of course i forgot to change them back all of once, and that is the entire basis for this argument).

My best friend runs Macs. I can’t get flash to work on them, nor can i get divx avis, or any avis for that matter to play on them.

This is all annoying to no end…

Double-clicking html links also bugs me.

she does that too!

Originally posted by JDex
It drives me nuts when people have a scroll wheel on their mouse, but still use the scrollbar arrows. I cringe when they want to scroll down and work so hard to get the cursor over the little arrow box then proceed to click 50+ times.

LOL! I hate when people don’t have a wheel mouse and I’m sitting there trying to scroll (out of habit) and there’s no wheel and the cursor does not move a millimeter.

Originally posted by Erilaz
Double-clicking html links also bugs me.

I sit next to my friend and I’m yelling like I’m at a sporting event: “SINGLE CLICK!”

Originally posted by Valkyrien
My mother runs XP on a computer with 64 megs of RAM. She runs it in 800x600 on a 15" monitor with large icons turned on and all text enlarged to 14pt or so. Her taskbar is on the side, and is set to autohide. Her desktop icons are not organized in any way, they are in fact not aligned to a grid, rather scattered around the desktop haphazardly. If I ever need to use her computer for anything, I am not allowed to change any of her size settings, since I always forget to change them back (of course i forgot to change them back all of once, and that is the entire basis for this argument).

Ahh, my mother was the same way… I retrained her though.

I also made my own login for her computer so I could use it from time to time with settings that a normal person would use. Actually I made it the Admin account, since I have to fix it so frequently.