Animation Session 5 : Supermove - April 4 > 18

Hi everyone ,

Welcome to a new animation session. This time the theme is Supermove

What is a supermove?

Think of fighter games such as Street fighter , King of fighters , Mortal Kombat , Final Fantasy etc , when the character’s gauge fills and starts flashing you can do a move that does major damage.

Your goal is to design and animate a supermove like that.

The Rules:

• you can use preexisting rigs\characters , the characters can be of any type , they dont have to be human. (IE: robot , quadruped , mech , rock monster , etc)

• The animation cannot be longer than 8 seconds max , this is for a game so you dont want to make a move and watch it for 15 seconds.

• here is the NO list: No Particles , NO Textures , NO Camera Cuts , No lighting fancier than a 3 point lighting , No Motion Blur.

• You can use and animate props and other characters to show the effect of the supermove (IE: character powers up , does his supermove to the other character , the other character flies back smashes to the boxes knocks em off etc.)

• Please use good naming conventions on this session. IE: SheepFactory_Supermove_WIP01.mov

• Maximum render size is 640 x 480 but 320 x 240 is preferred. Please try to use quicktime and sorenson 3 codec with medium compression for the WIP’s , While divx is acceptable , we cant frame by frame watch div-x so the critique you’ll get will suffer.

• Please post your WIP’s and Questions In this thread.

-This session will go on for two weeks , starting April 4 and ending April 18

Looking forward to seeing everyones entries!
Ali

PS: Here is a short anim for inspiration:

<<Link removed due to everyone slamming my site , went over my limit>> :slight_smile:

ok
his might be cool to do
should have more time to do this one.

Does it HAVE to be 3d? At the moment my 3d program doesn’t want to work so can I use flash?

While divx is acceptable , we cant frame by frame watch div-x so the critique you’ll get will suffer.

Media Player Classic allows you to scrub AVI’s (like those encoded by divx) frame by frame - I prefer it over Windows Media Player anyday…

Nice idea :thumbsup:

On this.

just a thought that wasn’t mentioned is you can’t just animate a prexisting supermove… like from streetfighter. or is that allowable?

No preexisting supermove of course , whats the point of recreating something thats already been done :slight_smile:

That said it can be similar in nature , so if you have a dragon punch somewhere in your supermove its not a big deal. Just dont replicate the move to the latter from the game.

wow ima have to try to do this one…could be a good demo reel piece if I pull it off.

-KDX-

i’m most definitely in!

I have a question about no textures.
What about low-poly procedural tricks?
For example, a cylinder and a procedural alpha for a tornado punch.
Something like that allowed?

no textures are not allowed. For that scenario you can animate some objects circling around the character and key their opacity so they disappear when the move is over etc. I dont want anyone to get sidetracked and worry about texturing , dynamics etc when the focus is animation.

I’ll do my best to get in on this one, but I’m gonna be moving this month and driving from florida to chicago…so there goes 20 hours of work down the tubes. Wish everyone luck!

OMG… my char that Im making is Designed for this ROFL
just check the WIP ~ ha

too bad I have never animated before… oh well that never stopped me before!

Does anyone have some good sites for animation tutorials or some advance rigging? [Face rigging and Muscles]

Im a real big n00b so anything will help!!

This sounds really fun! I think I’ll animate a big monster “Wishbone” some hapless opponent. Smash him into the ground a few times, tear him in half at the stomach, then pull the 2 legs apart like a Turkey Wishbone :slight_smile:

Aww man, no bloodspray particles allowed! :cry:

This is more of a Mortal Kombat’ish ‘Fatality’ than a Supermove, is this okay?

“so if you have a dragon punch somewhere in your supermove its not a big deal”

So the super move can be some type of combo instead of just a single kick or punch type move?

Originally posted by titaniumdave
[B]“so if you have a dragon punch somewhere in your supermove its not a big deal”

So the super move can be some type of combo instead of just a single kick or punch type move? [/B]

absolutely its all up to you.

This might be a silly question, but when you say “no textures”, does that mean that the character itself can’t have any textures, or just that no other textures can be used for the special effects?

Just quickly did up my supermoove, I only spent a short while on it and I might refine the arcs if I get time, just thought I would post it now anyways. - thanks :smiley:

gnikrapon_supermoove

sounds like a fun challenge. I cannot wait to see some crazy submissions.

IF I had time to complete this one I would definately use JoJo’s as reference…that was a fun and wacky game!

peace and good luck.

Hmmm… I need to find a decent rig and do this one. No time to set one up myself.:slight_smile: