Wow! I’ve been blown away by all the feedback. I really appreciate all the props you guys have been giving the video. It makes all the hours put in seem worth it, to know everyone has been diggin’ it so much, is dope!
In response to the questions asked:
Yes we used Mo-Cap. Some friends at Centroid3D.com helped us out and with the equipment and data clean up. So yes its a combo of Mo-cap and keyed animation. The Transform sequences and a few of the special moves like the HelicopterInvert moves, they are hand animated.
I terms of time taken to do the project…
Well we weren’t commissioned to do the video so I had to do most of the modeling in my spare time. Soundwave, the main character took me two weeks to do because he was my first 3D model and it was a software learning curve at the same time. The little dood, ‘Lazer’, only took 3 days in all. But I did have to go back and do a bit more clean up on ‘Soundwave&Lazer’ later on when it came to UV texture mapping.
I spent 10 weeks on a Maya course at the end of last year at EscapeStudios.co.uk, learning the software’s basics and learning how to animate etc. The last two weeks of the course I spent doing all the UV maps and textures, as well as building the additional scenery whilst Dan Kohn the guy who built the recording studio was doing his part on the course as well.
From Jan this year I was working at Escape and in between doing jobs to earn cash to live off I was using the Studios as a render farm at night and getting everything out rendered to individual frames.
Once all the rendering was done we spent two months, near enough, compositing and trying experiments with live footage, that I filmed, of Supple the Breaker, and getting all the renders into the edit in the right places.
The guys who wrote the track LAZER came down to the edit suite and basically tapped the beat into the edit so we had cuts exactly on the beats to make it impact audio and visually.
Then once we finished tweaking the edit, I spent two more weeks making the overlay graphics and fine tuning and tweaking. This was one of the most fun and satisfying parts on the project because we could see the light at the end of a very long steep tunnel.
So all in all it would be about six months approximately for the whole project. But spread out over at least a year and a half, with thinking about what we were going to do and getting the track finalized.
Just to give you and bit of perspective and history.
LAZER put the first rendition of the track together nearly four years ago and it went through nearly six versions whilst the video was being made.
Hopefully we’ll be able to get them all put out there soon. We are in talks with Hasbro about getting the track released!!!
The bits where there is floor break through I will definitely tune up. It seemed like such a minor detail at the time and we had so much to get through but now I’ve had a bit of time off from it I will definitely go back a fix them. Thanks for pointing them out and keeping me on my toes.
Quite a long winded response I know, but thank you again, for all the feedback and the props. I will pass them on to the the other guys who worked on the project as well.