Animation: Ringling Thesis "The Burden"

Hello all,

I recently completed my senior thesis at Ringling School of Art and Design. Hope you enjoy it and, as always, comments and critiques are welcome. :slight_smile:

“The Burden” DIVX 17.3 MB (better quality, smaller file)

“The Burden” Quicktime 50.4 MB (lower quality, larger file)

Thanks for looking!
~Derek

http://www.rsad.edu/~drozmes

Very good animation, the character really shows emotion, great work :thumbsup:

better quality, smaller file; lower quality, larger file?

i thought those parameters are the like: “the better quality the lower size”…

Are u trying to say something about quicktime? :wink:

Anyway, downloading the file…

Thats the third great Ringling animation ive seen congratulations!

Downloaded! It’s amazing! oh i love that! unfortunately, it was hard to me to understand some of his words… english isn’t my mother’s tongue, and he sometimes doesn’t speak clear enough… or atleast clear enough for me… :blush:

Anyway, excellent work! :thumbsup:

I don’t know what they feed you Ringling kids but it certainly makes me wish they would accept transfers, since I wanted to two years ago! :thumbsup:

Very nice. Odd idea and I hope you weren’t really expecting people to listen to the dialogue. Maybe it’s just me but there’s a lot going on and I didn’t pay one lick of attention to what he was saying except very few snippets. That’s not really a bad thing, as it’s very interesting throughout so even not coming out of it knowing what he was speaking about, it was still good, and I assumed it was some Shakespeare anyhow.

Congrats on finishing and a great piece.

I dont know why the white rabbit doesn´t like the dialogue … the words and the scenery are supporting each other very well I think

nice work in detail - you did a brilliant job on the timing

nice work :slight_smile:

the way the character look… i somehow think his head looks like Harry Potter’s Dobby :slight_smile:

wow, amazing!!!

very well animated.
btw is it from Shakespeare?

Lovely … I especially enjoyed your varying use of the props to
create comedy and tension … -[the knife in the back bwaaaaa haahah a ha rofl :thumbsup:

I didn’t say I didn’t like it, I said I didn’t listen to it. I was distracted by everything going on in frame. It was very visually engaging and the dialogue is very wordy, so it’s hard to focus on both, in my opinion. I liked the feel of it though and had no problem with the dialogue necessarily. I was simply critiquing the fact that is might be a bit “busy” and it might be something to keep in mind for future projects. It may be that I’m the only one who had this ‘problem’ so maybe it doesn’t matter!

thats a really amazing work.
i love the artwork with the props. the sun got rays that look like the knifes.great!
also the animation, and facaial expression is well done…i have to watch it again :wink:

btw. at the end the sound of the .mov is horrible distorted, maybe a download error.

well… one of the best thing I recently seen on this forum.

ciao
francesca

Wonderful!!!..something I can watch again and again…
The lyp-sync and facial animation is top notch…
I love it…:thumbsup:

Bredro1

You are very talented, that is one of the top 10 best things I’ve seen. Very good work!

i can’t download it:shrug:

mimo8: I dont believe that whiterabbit.obj didnt like the dialogue
but that he was too distracted by the animation to pay any attention to it. I find that as a compliment. There are three ways to look at storys.

1. The words are the story and that they are enhanced by action to help carry the story.
  2. Vise versa the Animation holds the story and words are just a complimentary aspect of the story.
  3. Or you watch it for its entirety. Words. Action. Everything.

derekjr: Very nice. The only thing I see out of place is fact that your special thanks is cut off. I know that is sad but its all I have in the form of a critique.

**You Ringling boys need to cut it out!! Your makin’ me sick with you nice little stories and awesome lighting and texturing!! I mean enough is enough!!

amazing , its one of the best short I seen since a lot of time… great animation , greatstory… nici desing. The acting is very cool. No critic for you , you done amazing short, Congradulation !

:thumbsup:

Now , I need to play it again and again…

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
I didn’t say I didn’t like it, I said I didn’t listen to it. I was distracted by everything going on in frame. It was very visually engaging and the dialogue is very wordy, so it’s hard to focus on both, in my opinion. I liked the feel of it though and had no problem with the dialogue necessarily. I was simply critiquing the fact that is might be a bit “busy” and it might be something to keep in mind for future projects. It may be that I’m the only one who had this ‘problem’ so maybe it doesn’t matter!

I don’t think it’s over “busy” - i mean, that’s the idea of exagerating those theatre-like effects. So, if u decide to do it, so do it till the very end!

Anyway, derekjr, can u pls post the words he says?

thats just amazing

one of the best animations i have ever seen on this forum:applause: