Animation Reel: J.O.O.L [J3U:L]

Hi,

I just graduated from Vancouver Film School.
Hope you guys enjoy my short and any criticism or suggestions will be greatly appreciated…

J.O.O.L_divx_20meg

This is a very nice film. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Your reel has great facial animation with simple characters.
The bird’s texture is awesome too.

:beer:
Ted

Good, however i just saw half…keep going :applause: :thumbsup:

I love it!

Character has lots of feel to it and animation is smooth, especially the facial expressions.

Where did you get the references??

This is by far the only tightrope walk animation I’ve seen.

I’d definitely expect more from you later on. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,

Daquestion, I found references from looking at myself in the mirror =P I almost sprained my back from doing that. hehe

Anyways, thanks for putting up replies and if you can find anything that I can improve on, please let me know.

Cheers! :beer:

quick q? the rope and the characters balancing on it. In what order did you animate them? It didn’t seem that the rope was just set to swing and the characters just stood on them.

Originally posted by Goon
quick q? the rope and the characters balancing on it. In what order did you animate them? It didn’t seem that the rope was just set to swing and the characters just stood on them.

Goon,

I animated the characters first then the rope and I went back to put more details and facial expressions to the characters as the end stage.

Although interacting between the characters and the rope was pretty hard and I had to start with a lack of references, it was a fun project.

Thanks!

Gino.

nice one. not bad tho. now for the real c&c.
I really had problem understandin what the guy… the 2 guys are doing. i don’t understand the whole storyline(if there is one) some of the times i don’t get what the main character is doing.
You should change the colors of the 2 characters or even use a different model. i get confuse which character is which sometimes in the clip
i like the animation in the begining …(when he walks in…balancing)
i think you shouldn’t fade out so much… the whole story is being slowed downed doing so,hence the excitement .
then again… maybe im wrong …it’s only my opinion.
good try .keep up.

peace

:slight_smile:

Well, it’s pretty hard to understand.
Actually, there weren’t quite many people that understood what the whole film means.

First guy that’s looking down represents any human that faces opportunities but can’t even think of what’s beyond them because he has no guts. That’s why he has “Alpha” - only the beginning - on him.

Second guy represents those who can take chances and make dramatic changes in their lives. He also represents those who will take harder way to earn more and better when the time comes. That’s why I put “Infinity” sign on him.

Third guy sitting is someone who is only curious about what he sees but would never risk his life to step onto the next level of life. As you’ve seen, he decided to rely on the second guy who already became an eagle and flew away, instead of trying himself.
I put “Omega” on him since in Greek, it’s the end of everything.

The moral of the story is this: “If the tightrope was the whole world, you will eventually fall and then you lose unless you try to win over it”

It was pretty hard to make the story clear so that people can understand. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Gino

I couldn’t view it, what codec did you use? Have an .avi?

salud

Originally posted by lildragon
[B]I couldn’t view it, what codec did you use? Have an .avi?

salud [/B]

I used DivX 5.02.

Thanks.

Gino.

Wow, this is the 3rd Vancover School Reel i’ve looked at in the last half hour.

I like this alot, you’ve really got super expressions on the characters faces!

I didn’t notice the characters untill you mentioned the symbols. Perhaps making them take up the entire chest, or some other really obvious place may help communicate your story.

What does “J.O.O.L” mean?

Great animation man.

I love the way the character’s bodies swayed on the rope. I agree with “dark_lotus” about the symbol size. I think they were more important than you made them. The still shots were a little odd to me. It would be cooler if maybe they were bigger or had a slight glow on them. Cause when it showed the third guy with no introduction i thought it was the first guy. But i guess you cleared that up when you had the shot down the rope…

But overall the character animation was great.

This is only the beginning…

-EAP!

I absolutely love this one. I saw it a coupl of weeks ago, and it was simply awesome. Great job! and keep up the amazing work.

:airguitar good job, G-man…
good quality animation… funny-looking characters who looks just like you… nice nice. I c your brilliance in getting reference for creating a such a nice character… YOU kekeke
anywayz good job…

ps. try to give him better replies, dudez… he luvs’em

Nice work Jino, I love when the guy scratches his head. Maby you need a re-establishing shot to show the 3rd guy. But overall good work.

Out,
Don

Thanks guys,

Dark_lotus and EAP, yeah perhaps I should have made each character look somewhat different or making the symbols bigger would have been better. And yeap, those symbols are more important than I made them.

dbach, it’s true that it’d help me communicate my story if I established that 3rd character. Maybe I’ll add a shot or two to make it more understandable in the future.

I’ll look into you guys’ advice.

Thanks.

Gino.

Hmm - getting a file not found error here - has it been taken down?

Originally posted by FallenSwordsman
Hmm - getting a file not found error here - has it been taken down?

same thing, hey man you need to get a mirror up cause this orginal isnt working, bhut the screenshot loks good