Animation plot data

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a way to export the plot data from the graph editor in Maya? I can see the time/value plot data using Spreadsheet… from the Curves menu in the graph editor, but would like to be able to export this to create a graph in other software (such as MatLab or Excel) using time as the x axis and the value as the y axis.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

You can easily do this with a script, either MEL or Python. The latter would probably be recommendable due to it’s more advanced string editing methods and most importantly the inclusion of an XML module.

Edit:

here’s some example python code. very simple, creates an xml on C: with the time/value information for every curve selected in the GraphEditor

import maya.cmds as cmds
from xml.dom.minidom import Document

xmlDoc = Document()

root = xmlDoc.createElement('curveData')
xmlDoc.appendChild(root)

animCurves = cmds.keyframe(query=True, name=True, sl=True)

for c in animCurves:

curveElement = xmlDoc.createElement('curve')
	curveElement.setAttribute('name', str(c))
	root.appendChild(curveElement)
	keyTimes = cmds.keyframe(c, q=True, tc=True)
	for t in keyTimes:

frameElement = xmlDoc.createElement('frame')
		curveElement.appendChild(frameElement)

value = cmds.keyframe(c, time=(t,), q=True, vc=True)[0]
		frameElement.setAttribute('time', str(t))
		frameElement.setAttribute('value', str(value))

file = open('C:/animInfo.xml', 'w')
file.write(xmlDoc.toprettyxml())
file.close()

Built in method (…read ‘Not pretty’)

File>Export[] choose move format.

Altho’ if I had need to do something like this often I’d write/use something like what Nyro was kind enough to write above :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the reply’s. I couldn’t find a built in method, not sure I fully understood the post, but I have Export All and Export Selection, and I think this just relates to the objects within the scene rather than plot data for the anim curves.

I tried the script and got this error…

Error: IOError: 13

You’ll have to excuse my dumbness, I’ve no experience with scripting.

Can you turn on linenumbers in errors? You can do that in the script Editors menu.

But just by looking at the error, I’m guessing you either a) don’t have a C: drive because you’re not on Windows (are you using a Mac?) or b) you don’t have file creation/write permission.

Hi, yes with line numbers this is the error:

Error: line 1: IOError: file <maya console> line 27: 13

I am on windows and do have a C drive, and on my home PC so should have full permissions

weird. works perfectly for me.

Try creating the file manually first (just create an empty textfile and rename it to animInfo.xml)

Done.

Apparently I didn’t have permission to save to C: as you suggested earlier, and I found out when trying to create the file manually. Strange that - I must have changed the permissions at some point (or the computer has gone off on one)

I changed to save to my H: and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help!! (y)

I couldn’t find a built in method, not sure I fully understood the post, but I have Export All and Export Selection, and I think this just relates to the objects within the scene rather than plot data for the anim curves.

File>Export Selection… File Of Type == move
select channels | From ChannelBox > Save
Saved move file has saved values of channels/time

I mainly use this for bring info in from afterEffects, but hey, it’s all plain text :slight_smile:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.