Andrew Loomis Successful Drawing Question..

Hey,

I’m currently going through Andrew Loomis’ Successful Drawing, and have reached the section on scaling in perspective (pages 48-52), and I don’t really understand it’s purpose,
nor how to really do it. It compounds in that he doesn’t explain it as much as would seem necessary… Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks,

Sergeant Oreo

Looks like it’s for when you want to create a room or object to scale. Using the knowledge that the horizon level = eye/camera height, you know that it’s that same height vertically to any point on the ground plane. You can use that to mark off distances horizontally and vertically. Then you also pick a depth to match that, and mark “equal” distances towards the horizion, using the method on page 42.

Thanks for replying velenosangue. :slight_smile:

Edit: What exactly do you mean by picking a matching depth?

Hi SergeantOreo,
Depending on the field of view (FOV) used in an image, depth cam be more compressed or less compressed. This is why people look weird when they get too close to a webcam, or when you see them through the lens of a door’s peephole (wide FOV). Likewise, it’s common for studios to use telephoto lenses to take fairly flattened shots of people and products (small FOV).

Here are some example shots I’ve rendered out of the same room with different lenses. The grid on the floor/walls is perfectly square.

Ah, I get it now… I went over the technique last night with someone and now
it all really makes sense. Diagonals are really useful! :smiley:

Thanks again for helping me! ^^

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.